BIOS worm revisited

sil_ver 13:20 26 Jul 05

My original post got scrambled so here goes again. My son's pc running W2K picked up some virii/worms one of which was mcafee32.exe. also I found that his BB connection was continually send/receiving info. As I couldn't get rid of them without losing internet connection (can't open port 609)I decided to re-format and install W2K. Booted from CD and got as far as what seemed to be the end of 'format' and was presented with the message 'unable to format drive, check if disk is faulty' I know the disk was ok but tried to do the same using two other spare disks on one of which I used the HDD's utility floppy to overwrite the disk (low level format) the 8MB partition appeared on all the drives after format process which may or may not be relevent. I had previously removed the CMOS battery for about 11/2 hrs so had to enter BIOS to reset the date/time. I'm at a loss as to what to try next. I do have a spare mobo but am reluctant to use it in case the same problem (virus?) is transferred to it

uisquebeathus 13:56 26 Jul 05

did you enable the bios antivirus checker,if you have this will stop your installation or reinstallation. there are very few Bios worms about nowadays as the sport is more into Bots and trojans taking over the computer and its connections.

sil_ver 14:04 26 Jul 05

Thanks for the reply uisquebeathus. I haven't checked status of virus checker so will do soonest. I mentioned worms but there may have been trojans as well

phono 23:06 26 Jul 05

"The approx. 8MB of unpartitioned disk space is there because XP installation reserves it for converting a Basic disk to a Dynamic disk".

See here click here

sil_ver 10:57 27 Jul 05

It's egg-on-face time. When I overwrote the HDD using the HDD utility I forgot to rewrite the partition, Doh! Thanks to everyone for their input.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…