Bios / Windows setting

dvoo 03:33 09 Oct 03

Just setup a computer with the following, running windows XP Pro.

Chip : Intel P4 2.4C
Motherboard : MSI 875P Neo-FISR2
SATA, LAN, RAID, Firewire
Ram : 2 x 512MB Kingston 3200 (400mhz)
HDD : 1 x Maxtor 80GB SATA
1 x MAxtor 120GB SATA
Graphic : MSI (8907) TDR128 FX5200
CDRW - Samsung DVD/CDRW Combo

I was wondering if someone could advise or point me in the right direction for the best settings for both BIOs and windows. Am into a little bit of graphics, office work and quite a bit of video.

Gongoozler 09:26 09 Oct 03

Hi dvoo. I don't have any experience of this board and I'm still using Windows 98se, but this review has some useful information about the MSI 875P click here

MichelleC 09:32 09 Oct 03

There's not much to change in bios unless things go wrong.

Your setup is very good. When dv editing it's best to have main prog on 'c' and do editing etc on other hd. (ensure dma is enabled on hd's - look in device manager and right-click hd's under IDE ATA/ATAPI Contollers/Advanced). You may have to increase your paging (under Disc management) to approx 2 - 3 times RAM.

Some dv folk prefer ntsf file management over fat32 as there's no 4gb limitation, but others say it's slower (but it is more stable).

dvoo 02:41 10 Oct 03

Thanks guys. Will check it out.

Fred7000 16:57 16 Oct 03

Could anyone tell me how to turn off my onboard graphics card off. My computer is a Dell GX270.

Gongoozler 17:27 16 Oct 03

Fred7000, this setting is usually under the heading of Integrated peripherals or something like that. I can't be more precise because I don't know what make of BIOS Dell use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…