BIOS will not recognize DVD drive

Lee12 22:25 25 Oct 07

Hi, I am working on a PC. The DVD drive does not work properly, but is able to load when I place a CD in it; the problem is the program loads but comes out fuzzy. So it tells me that the BIOS are able to recognize the old drive. I replaced it with a new DVD drive; the drive opens to place DVD in, but will not load anything. I clicked on MY COMPUTER and it shows nothing in the D drive. When I click on the D drive, a dialog box appears stating: (please insert disk in drive D). I opened up Device Manager and found no errors. I also opened CMOS and it does recognize the DVD drive (or I think I did?) The PC is located at a store so that is one option I have to double check when I go back tomorrow.
If not do I need to set it to autodetection? Checked all connections and set the jumpers; still nothing. I have installed DVD drives many times and never had this problem. Can anyone please help me out with some troubleshooting methods?
Thanks

Totally-braindead 22:33 25 Oct 07

Have you tried another IDE lead?

Don't understand some of your description. For example it loads a program but it comes out fuzzy, what do you mean by that?

octal 22:35 25 Oct 07

Try going into device manager and delete the drive and reboot the computer and see if Windows will detect it, it should than load the correct driver, I presume this is Windows XP, you don't say.

woodchip 22:53 25 Oct 07

Your problem is as above Drive cable or a duff IDE connection on the motherboard

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:15 25 Oct 07

No CD/DVD or CD-ROM access is missing error Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41
Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager.
(This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio or other writing software.)
click here
Download XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file to extract the contents. Locate the EXE file you extracted and double click it. A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done. You may need to reboot for the change to take effect.
This utility is only intended for Windows® XP. You may need Administrator level access to use this utility. If you do not have Administrator level access, the program will say it is finished, but will not have made any changes.

or
Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values.
Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them.
Close regedit and restart the computer.
If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

Lee12 06:26 26 Oct 07

Thanks everyone for you input. I will give it a try tomorrow morning when I return back to the store

latentheat 17:55 15 Dec 07

Just thought I would join up specifically to thank Fruit Bat /\0/\ for his solutions above.
I had a code 41 where neither of my drives were being recognised on my PB iXtreme 6113 Duo - I think this was as a result of upgrading the correct drivers from the PB website!!
I tried the direct registry edit solution (after exporting the registry first!), rebooted, and all the yellow hazard triangles in my Device Manager were gone. Many thanks - great solution.
Dave

woodchip 20:49 15 Dec 07

How is the Drive Connected to the Ribbon Cabble ie is it the only Optical drive on the Ribbon if so it should be set to Master with the jumper on the drive

woodchip 22:12 15 Dec 07

So what did it?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:11 16 Dec 07

Thread was slightly confusing but to simplify:

1. DVD drive faulty and therefore not seen in BIOS
2. DVD drive replaced
3. DVD drive not now seen in My computer.
4. Reg fix done to remove upper and lower filters now everything OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos