bios virus?

Mysticnas 23:01 14 Nov 03

Hello...

My norton antivirus 2004 is always disabled on startup. I've done everything, been throught it with symantec help people and can't find the answer....

I've noticed however, that when i enter the bois on start up and then enter windows i notice that antivirus has started up fine.

So what are the chances of there something being wrong in the bios? or is it in the start up files? what can be done about that symantec haven't already suggested? (remove inc. editing registry, and reinstalling etc...)

james55 23:26 14 Nov 03

If you had a BIOS Virus I doubt you would have even got as far as Windows, I installed NAV 2003 in XP home and I had Zone Alarm firewall with result the two did not work with each other, NAV always ended up disabled. I took a very reluctant decision and removed ZA and installed NAV firewall and I had no trouble since. I say reluctant all the years I had ZA I loved it.

Giggle n' Bits 23:28 14 Nov 03

First though I wuld check all the page defaults for NAV 2004 are set to defualt page settings.

There is a known issue also with the problem your having, its a small glitch in the software.

Go to click here

And I am confident you will find it being one of the top 3 problems listed.

Mysticnas 23:28 14 Nov 03

very interesting that...

I remember that norton mentioned when i installed it that there was another AV running and that i should uninstall it before installing norton. I have never install any other AV on my system. I checked anyway, but nothing. Are there any programs out there that i may have installed that use some kind of stealth antivirus?

DieSse 00:57 15 Nov 03

Have you got Boot Sector Virus check enabled in the BIOS / that might be enough to make NAV think there was another AV running (well there would be, sort of).

The Sack 03:04 15 Nov 03

Dont use Norton, not very helpfull but sound advice none the less.

james55 23:03 15 Nov 03

Mysticnas
I know you are having troubles but persevere as Norton is well worth it. I am sure there is a conflict and I hope we the forum can find the answer. Almost every time I go on the Internet NAV updates it's definitions, I have been lucky and never at anytime have received a Virus and of course I can't say it will never happen.

anchor 13:50 16 Nov 03

I have Win-XP Pro, Norton A/V 2004 Pro, and Zone Alarm Pro running. I have no problems, and all seem to run happily together.

DieSse makes a good point. I have the bios boot sector virus check disabled; perhaps that is the answer.

Mysticnas 14:45 16 Nov 03

don't mean to sound silly... :o( but where and how do i that? (the bios boot sector). I've found the boot sector option in NAV options, but this i would assume is the windows boot sector located on the HDD and not a bios related area.

PhiltheFragger 14:53 16 Nov 03

Restart the machine , As soon as you have pressed the button,
tap F2 or Delete and the BIOS will pop up

The virus sector is normally in the first 2 pages, just hilite it and set it to disable

Click ESC, followed by F10

then Y

restart and check

Mysticnas 15:30 16 Nov 03

it's not there. I checked to make sure. and it's not there. I'll check again to see if i missed something.

I have gigabyte GA-SINXP1394 motherboard with latest bios installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…