BIOS Upgrade before CPU will work???

Ricktos 13:57 25 Aug 07

Hi all,

I've ordered a motherboard - ASRock 775Dual-VSTA and an E2160 Pentuim Dual Core Processor. I have checked the ASRock site and it says there that the motherboard will not work with the CPU unless the BIOS is upgraded to Version 2.7.

My new motherboard is a different socket type to my old one so how would I upgrade the BIOS without a compatible CPU, or could I get to DOS before installing the processor.

Any help/advice appreciated in advance, thanks.

howard64 17:55 25 Aug 07

no cpu no working! If the new mobo and cpu have the same socket type there should be no problem.

Ricktos 20:24 25 Aug 07

Even if the BIOS isn't updated?

I am Spartacus 20:53 25 Aug 07

I potentially had this problem with my new motherboard (ASUS) but fortunately the supplier updated the BIOS for me by using a CPU that worked on that BIOS revision then updated it so it would work with the new CPU.

I don't know how it can be done other than using a CPU that the mobo will initially accept or getting one with the latest BIOS.

Totally-braindead 21:25 25 Aug 07

I don't know, but would assumme that the board would accept the processor but not at full speed and probably wouldn't identify it correctly but it would work well enough for you to be able to flash the BIOS. I'm not sure of this as I have done a similar thing when a board wouldn't correctly recognise the processor but did work well enough to flash the BIOS.
Whether this is the same with your board and chip I don't know.
Only suggestion I have is contact the board maker and ask.

paul€ 21:40 25 Aug 07

the problem with your motherboard is not the usual multiplier will not go high enough but the multiplier will not go low enough. With a cpu that has a higher multiplier than a motherboard can take, the cpu will usually run at a slower speed. So you do not harm the cpu.

Your cpu will run at 800Mhz and at 1.6Ghz dual core. The lowest multiplier this motherboard will take at 800Mhz is a 2.8ghz P4. So what you will get is if you try to boot with the E2160 1.6Ghz is that the multiplier will run at the lowest speed and fry the cpu or will fail to run as it can not go down that low.

Either ask the supplier for the bios revision number or beg and borrow a cpu that is compatible with the list.

Ricktos 22:49 25 Aug 07

Thanks for all your help and advice guys.

paul£ - What is the BIOS revision number?

paul€ 11:50 26 Aug 07

Just the bios version number. Hopefully it might be a new board from the manufacturers that runs revision number P 2.70

Ricktos 11:59 26 Aug 07

Also, is there any way I can find out what the current BIOS version is now I have the motherboard but without running the computer??? I was also thinking I might just run the risk. The company I got them from will replace no problem if they break/fry and there's lots of hardware protection in place to stop ther processor from doing any damage. All I need to do is boot from CD to DOS, run the BIOS update and restart. Then I should be good to go.

Ricktos 21:28 26 Aug 07

It all works fine and without the BIOS upgrade survived a Windows Vista install, connection to the net, install of the new BIOS and a restart. Now to enjoy this new found power...;)

Thanks to everyone who gave advice and helped

I am Spartacus 21:28 26 Aug 07

It's not really fair to take this risk and expect your supplier to sort out a problem of your own making and with the knowledge it may not work. I agree that you may be right in that thermal control settings may stop the chip from frying but I think it irresponsible to try that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced