Bios upgrade for AD77 Rev A+board, Athlon 2600 cpu

Mannanan 16:11 15 Sep 05

I'm having problems running "Acronis" (which is similar to Norton's Ghost) as it will not boot from its rescue cd-rom. Acronis help desk have been quite helpful but no luck so far. They asked for details of my system which I sent them. They are now saying I need a BIOS upgrade.

My board is "Ad77 Rev A+" and I have a "manual" for it. However, nowhere in this booklet is there a manuafacturers' name or web site (which seems to me to be rather daft!).

Any advise on upgrading my BIOS would be appreciated. The system was bought April 2003.

Thanks in advance for any comments or pointers!

mannannan

Skills 16:18 15 Sep 05

Try the manufacturers website of your computer you might find the BIOS upgrade listed on there.

Beware that undertaking a BIOS upgrade really is a last resort and if it does go wrong you'll end up with a knacked computer that you'll need to get a new motherboard for.

Mannanan 16:23 15 Sep 05

Hello Skills

There is no "manufacturer" of my computer. It was SOLD by Compusol to a pick & mix menu.

If I knew who MADE the "Ad77" board, I would contact them direct.

I agree ... care needs to be taken in upgrading the BIOS.

961 16:23 15 Sep 05

If you use Everest Home Edition or SiSoft Sandra you should be able to establish the make and model of your motherboard

However, Skills gives wise advice. If I was to choose between accepting advice from a third party advice line to flash the BIOS or not using the software I would leave things as they are

If your computer is working ok then flashing the BIOS is not a route to go down whatever Acronis say

martjc 16:23 15 Sep 05

...they have all the details of most bios types and can run a check on your machine to see which update is right for you. They will also give advice on how to do the changes.

Stuartli 16:25 15 Sep 05

It appears to be a DFI (Infinity?) motherboard:

click here

click here (three AD77 models listed)

click here

but don't take it as gospel...:-)

Very slow website.

961 16:38 15 Sep 05

You'll find details of this motherboard at the manufacturers web site click here

It has an Award BIOS, and you'll probably get the details from the software I've detailed above or by watching the BIOS details as your computer starts to boot

Stuartli 16:52 15 Sep 05

Did you find the website equally as slow as I did?

961 17:53 15 Sep 05

sure did

Eventually gave up and went in through the global as opposed to uk site

Stuartli 18:08 15 Sep 05

It wasn't just me then even with broadband...:-)

Mannanan 18:24 15 Sep 05

Thanks folks for all the comments.

I got into the website and I'm pretty sure my motherboard is this: click here

According to the model list, there are 3 "AD77" versions. My manual says "Rev A+" but that is not shown as such. Doing a "download" and chosing 'AD77' gives me a fair number of choices to download.

This is where I take on board the oft-given advice realising it maybe a last-resort option to download & install. Frankly, I don't know which one of the many options to chose. Maybe there is nothing "wrong" with my BIOS and that Acronis (my initial message) are just using the "update your BIOS" as some excuse as their boot software just does not work!

I guess it is better to do nothing than to have a corrupted system ...........

Many thanks for all who commented. :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…