//some 3rd party need geo

Bios Upgrade

Terry Brown 15:36 05 Mar 04

I hav ean Elite Motherboard K7S5A with a bios date of April 02 2001. Currenly I am using a Athlon 800 cpu (old but works OK, if slowly)and I would like to put a Athlon XP 2000 Cpu in it. Would I ned a bios upgrade, or would this bios be acceptable. I know you need a bios upgrade for xp2400.Many thanks.Terry

Eric10 15:48 05 Mar 04

click here It seems that you will need an updated BIOS. It says that AMD XP chips are supported on this board since bios 02/09/08 which is 2002.

Chaz10 15:54 05 Mar 04

Before you upgrade your CPU have a look at the site below as it highlights some probs with the k7s5a, hope it helps.

click here

LastChip 15:57 05 Mar 04

Beware. There are four different versions of that motherboard. Make sure you have the correct version.

The easiest way to find out, is look at wherever you setup the FSB and multiplier and see if you can set 133 x12.5 (2000XP) or 133 x 15 (2400XP).

LastChip 16:15 05 Mar 04

Be careful of the table offered by Eric10. I also looked at this, but take careful note of Notice 1. It ONLY refers to RECENT SHIPMENTS. How do you determine what that means? What it doesn't tell you, is what was supported prior to this list. The BIOS history is no help either! It gives no indication of what chips were supported at what stage of the cycle. Lousy technical support!

It looks like the list was compiled on 18/03/03, so I suspect yours wouldn't be regarded as recent!

ardvarc 18:03 05 Mar 04

Find out your MoBo model and see below. See K series. Also good info for flashing BIOS.

click here

Terry Brown 15:29 08 Mar 04

Thanks to all for your input, I have decided to opt for one of the motherboard bundles from maplin ( click here ), and upgrade my system completly, instead of 'Tinkering' around with an old Motherboard.
Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…