bios updates

conrail 21:17 18 Jan 05

thinking about updating my bios because I understand it will enable larger drives, I have xp pro 80 Gb hd but have been given a 120 GB and 130 Gb drives which would help with the video editing I do, have run a program called everest home edition which enabled me to link to my bios home page, making enquires with then they have offered me a upgrade, their email staes "Based on the technical specifications you had submitted, we have an excellent BIOS Upgrade for your system. We have the brand new Award BIOS for your motherboard. The price is only $29.95 (U.S)." after reading some forums I am not so sure, all advise welcomed

Computerdope 21:22 18 Jan 05

first time i`ve heard of paying for an upgrade, usually free of charge from the manufacturer.

also those drives dont sound to big, to run without upgrade.

who makes you mobo?

TomJerry 21:25 18 Jan 05

(1) you do not need to upgrade bios, if it can handle 80Gb, then it will be able to handle 120Gb and 160Gb (you need install XP service pack 1 or 2 for 160gb)

(2) if you really want to flash bios, you need to get official bios update from the motherboard's web site, it should be free. I would not touch any hacked bios update which costs money.

conrail 21:40 18 Jan 05

mobo is microstar internationsl, there is a lnk to the following page for bios upddates:
click here
would appreciate any help from there are don't want to make a mistake, what do I need to know and where from there

TomJerry 21:45 18 Jan 05

(1) just make sure you get model number right

(2) follow the instruction down to the last letter

the instruction is already on the web page you found, read it, do not go anywhere else

if you have to flash bios, use manufacturer's official one, in your case MSI which is one of biggest motherboard makers

JonnyTub 21:46 18 Jan 05

The first thing you need to know is as already stated "don't ever pay for a bios upgrade". The second thing is do you really need to upgrade, as tomjerry has already said. Thirdly, if you muck it up, say bye bye mobo!

Now consider, do you really need to flash ?

greenlamp 21:50 18 Jan 05

Should only need bios update if a single drives capacity is greater than 136GB, so should be ok for your drives.
However checking motherboard manufacturers for bios updates may indicate other advantages to upgrade.
If there's no great advantage don't bother.

VoG II 21:54 18 Jan 05

With respect, you have to know exactly what you are doing. If a BIOS flash goes wrong you will end up with a computer that will not boot. Be careful.

conrail 22:01 18 Jan 05

thanks guys, think I will leave well alone, knew if I came to the right place I would get the help needed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…