BIOS Update for unknown motherboard

Rockarch 19:59 19 Mar 09

I am trying to install some extra memory in a pc which I inherited. It was built by a pc shop somewhere so not a brand.
It originally had 256MB RAM and I bought an extra 512MB from Crucial. The pc wouldn't boot when I installed the extra ram and a long exchange with the crucial support technicians ending up with them saying I should update the BIOS on the pc.

I've never done this before. Downloaded cpuz to get info and find the Motherboard name box is greyed out but underneath it says 8363/A-686A
The BIOS is from Phoenix technologies v6 from 09/30/2002.
The instructions for updating BIOS say to find the Motherboard manufacturer first - so what do I do when I can't find who made it?
Suggestions gratefully received

woodchip 20:24 19 Mar 09

There should be Markings on the Motherboard White Print.

woodchip 20:30 19 Mar 09

Biostar motherboard or microstar click here

badhair1963 20:36 19 Mar 09

click here

Do a search of the page with that string of numbers. The board seems to have been made by a company called "Soltek".

Rockarch 20:37 19 Mar 09

Would Soltek AGP4X be the right kind of markings?

Rockarch 20:39 19 Mar 09

I've also just spotted SL75 KV written on the side.

badhair1963 20:44 19 Mar 09

No. That just refers to the AGP slot on the board. The actual model number will be one of these.

click here

Rockarch 20:44 19 Mar 09

The link to the Soltek site just seems to be a bunch of adverts. Do you know somewhere reliable to get an update?

badhair1963 20:49 19 Mar 09

The page I'm looking at has a load of serial numbers on one side and links to the relevant BIOS download on the other. I think the one you might be looking for is on page 2 of my link.

Rockarch 20:52 19 Mar 09

Thanks badhair
So I've found the correct one - what do I do once I have downloaded it?

badhair1963 21:08 19 Mar 09

Burn it to a floppy disk or CD. You then have to go into the BIOS and change the boot order so that your computer boots from the drive that has the downloaded drivers on it (CD or floppy).

Put the disk into the relevant drive and reboot your computer. All being well, the BIOS should update itself during the reboot.

Be aware, however, that if the update goes wrong, you'll break your motherboard and render your computer useless. Make absolutely sure you've got the right BIOS update before you start.

Good luck, and on your own head be it if it goes pear-shaped. :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…