//some 3rd party need geo

BIOS update needed?

Diemmess 17:49 10 Apr 03

For particular reasons, have been pursuaded to change my Duron 800 for 1200 to help cope with a proposed "improvement"
The Motherboard is AbitKT7 the Bios is Award Modular V6 00PG dated 25/5/00
Attempts so far to reset in the Bios "Soft menu" are fooling around in the dark since it is not possible to select anything over 1 GHz. ......

Results have been unstable and dismal reduction in benchmarks as shown in aid32.exe, so I'm back to square one with the 800 cpu and stability once more.

There were no faster chips for socket A when this mobo was born, but I'm sure there is a solution?

Would anyone who has done this, give me a lead and a sensible step by step guide to success!

AndySD 18:09 10 Apr 03

click here for the KT7 then it looks like you need to flash the bios. But make sure its the KT7 and not the KT7-raid or the kt7a as they use a different bios.

Diemmess 18:17 10 Apr 03

Thanks AndySD........I suspected that was the way, but the nuts and bolts?

Do I download an exec file and then open it?

Perhaps the book of words comes with the download.
Only similar experience came from a Firmware improvement to an early CD burner. That worked!

AndySD 18:20 10 Apr 03

What is your Operating System?

AndySD 18:33 10 Apr 03
  Diemmess 19:49 10 Apr 03

Still more thanks AndySD......... Have been offline for an hour, and think you have answered everything.

I didn't quote my o/s (Win98E) at the beginning because I wanted to keep the message simple.

The VIA chips on the motherboard can be left alone I hope.

One day I shall read again about front side bus and begin to understand what I have just read....... Until then I will settle for an update as you suggest and hope to leave it there.

Will leave this open overnight and tick it tomorrow.

pcmuncher 21:22 07 Sep 03

I have a link for an index to the major motherboard bios updates and manuals in pdf form etc. click here

Look at the bottom of the page for a manufacture list and links.
Hope it helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…