BIOS Update failed and possible recovery ?

Audio~~Chip 20:27 20 Apr 09

Hello

Tried to update a Asus P5S800-VM V1.03 motherboard and the BIOS completed but on reboot it wanted recover the bios. It said Bad CMOS. I used the Asus Live update and updated from a downloaded bios file. The machine was a Packard Bell originally with a new XP install.

I have tried to do the recovery but am totally lost, any help please.

OTT_Buzzard 21:08 20 Apr 09

Where did you get the BIOS from? Packard Bell BIOS's need to be downloaded from their website.
I strongly recommend AGAINST using windows based BIOS flash utilities. Update from BIOS using a USB stick, floppy or CD if you can.

Audio~~Chip 21:12 20 Apr 09

I got it from Asus Downloads for the L775 Asus P5S800-VM motherboard. I have downloaded the first BIOS and onto FDD but it just keeps saying its the wrong BIOS. I also downloaded and made the Packard Bell image BIOS for the machine which doesnt work. Thanks for your call!

Audio~~Chip 21:17 20 Apr 09

so I will scrap the motherbard.

OTT_Buzzard 21:20 20 Apr 09

I tried updating a Packard Bell BIOS not so long and had the same problem. Eventually I ended up reverting back to the old version. I may still have it on USB stick somewhere. What model PC do you have? With an infinite amount of luck I may have a version that will work in your PC

cream. 21:21 20 Apr 09

Start the computer with the Asus motherboard disk in. Use the Asus crashfree bios 2 program to rectify a bad bios update.click here

OTT_Buzzard 21:24 20 Apr 09

Very unlikely to work for a Packard Bell PC. The BIOS's are unique.....

OTT_Buzzard 21:34 20 Apr 09

OK, i've found the Everst report that I did on the Packard Bell PC before trying to the BIOS. Details below:

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4 524, 3066 MHz (23 x 133)
Motherboard Name Asus P5S800-VM (NEC OEM) (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset SiS 661FX

BIOS Properties:
Vendor American Megatrends Inc.
Version 0160
Release Date 05/12/2005
Size 512 KB
Boot Devices Floppy Disk, Hard Disk, CD-ROM, ATAPI ZIP, LS-120
Capabilities Flash BIOS, Shadow BIOS, Selectable Boot, EDD, BBS
Supported Standards DMI, APM, ACPI, ESCD, PnP
Expansion Capabilities ISA, PCI, USB

I have also found two versions of BIOS for it:

The one listed above and one downloaded from Packard Bell, filename S8VM1023

OTT_Buzzard 21:37 20 Apr 09

Also just found the Packard Bell Santiago BIOS Update Creator Setup Wizard. Think its for BIOS version 0204.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced