Bios Update Compaq Evo N400c

MacWin 12:11 04 Feb 06

Hello...

I have a Compaq Evo N400c running Windows 98SE. I am thinking of upgrading it to Windows XP (with the upgrade CD option). The Compaq Support website recommends upgrading the Bios for this.

Anyone any experience of this on this machine, and was it succesful? Could you still run Windows 98SE succesfully?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:44 04 Feb 06

You shoud not need to update the BIOS to run XP.

However I believe these machines only have 128Mb of Ram and therefore will be slow running XP, a RAM upgrade to a min of 256 or 512 wolud be preferable.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:46 04 Feb 06

PS a BIOS Flash should always be a last resort for any machine, as a failure to flash the BIOS properly will leve you with a pile of useless parts(Speaking for experience took 2 years to get the machin running again.)

MacWin 14:55 04 Feb 06

Thanks again, Fruit Bat.

The machine fortunately has 256MB already. I must admit to being very cautious about updating the Bios.

Running the machine with XP seems to me to be a way of getting around certain problems (temperamental issues) with USB, and at least one of my daughter's games does not run on this machine (although I know it runs on XP machines)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5