BIOS Update

BEARBEE 20:11 12 Jul 10

I have a new BIOS update ready to install.
The instructions with it are simple enough to follow except one thing, it asks me to unzip the bios update folder into a new folder on the 'E' drive on my laptop, the 'E' drive on my laptop is the DVD-ROM/DVDRW Drive.
Do you think it means my recovery partition drive which is 'D' or maybe something else ?

rawprawn 20:24 12 Jul 10

Unzip it to your DVD with a blank disc in, then reboot with the CD in the Drive. click here
Says floppy disc but the mechanics are the same

MAT ALAN 20:36 12 Jul 10

If you are going to update your BIOS you might want to turn off any auto updates, scans and disconnect from the internet...

Would be interested to know why you think you need to update your BIOS, unless of course you have a specific problem that warrants it...

gazzaho 04:03 13 Jul 10

One word of caution, make sure it's the right BIOS for your motherboard. BIOS updates are not like other updates, if you flash the wrong one you may not be able to recover from it and end up with a pile of junk instead of a working computer.

If something goes wrong or the BIOS file is for the wrong motherboard you may not be able to restore the old version. I would recommend you only update the BIOS if you really need to, to get a piece of hardware or something to work properly for instance, I wouldn't recommend doing it just for the sake of it.

If it's not broken don't fix it comes to mind.

Andsome 07:58 13 Jul 10

It probably ain't worf the bovver.

mooly 08:06 13 Jul 10

Heed gazzaho's warning... forums are awash with folk that try flashing the BIOS and end up with a doorstop instead.

Unless you are addressing a very specific manufacturer acknowledged BIOS related fault/bug/error leave well alone.

ardubbleyu 08:09 13 Jul 10

You may also need to flash BIOS if you're upgrading your CPU or similar, rather than bug-fixing. On ASUS boards its no big deal.

gengiscant 10:07 13 Jul 10

Agree with 'ardubbleyu' most if not all modern motherboards these days make flashing the bios pain free.
On older boards it might be a little more tricky but no big deal. Provided you have the correct bios for your board and you follow installation instructions I say go for it.

gazzaho 00:22 14 Jul 10

I would agree with what ardubbleyu says, my mobo is an ASUS and updating the BIOS is a simple affair, the ASUSUpdate program does the job for you from within Windows. If things go wrong rebooting with the ASUS disk that came with the mobo in the DC/DVD drive will restore the BIOS if corrupt.

The problem is BEARBEE isn't sure what the update process is on his/her machine, updating the BIOS from DOS can be a more complicated process than doing it through Windows.

If you're intent on doing it BEARBEE make sure you know exactly how to go about it, and more importantly how to recover from a failed attempt, I would also advise recording all your BIOS settings prior to the upgrade, either by writing all settings down or taking a photo (I used my phone camera) of every screen in the BIOS. After the update you may have to reset the CMOS settings if defaults aren't used.

BEARBEE 11:20 19 Jul 10

I got a techy friend round who has sorted it for me - jobs a good 'un, thanks all for the help.

BEARBEE 11:21 19 Jul 10

RESOLVED !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…