BIOS update

pj1664 18:47 27 Oct 07

How to update BIOS, this sounds easier then it seems but I am not to sure how to do this and can the BIOS drivers be reverseble?. Recently I was told by Microsoft my system recovered from a failure which could be caused by my RAM but it also reported that My BIOS drivers may not be compatable with my CPU 3Ghz HT Technology. I have windows xp media edition with 1GB Ram. I guess I need to update my BIOS drivers but Something is telling me to be very cautious about the update. Should I be?

VoG II 18:52 27 Oct 07

I believe that flashing the BIOS is safer nowadays than it used to be but, if it goes wrong, you can end up with a computer that won't boot.

I would urge caution and only do this if it is absolutely necessary.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:05 27 Oct 07

Something is telling me to be very cautious about the update. Should I be?

Yes very

Do not mess with the BIOS unless absolutely necessary!

HOW TO UPDATE YOUR SYSTEM BIOS
click here

PalaeoBill 19:06 27 Oct 07

Some motherboards were shipped with HT capable processors but needed a BIOS upgrade to recognize them. It may be the case that yours is one of these, but it is unlikely that this would be cause of your system failure. If you have the older BIOS it will not recognize Hyper Threading and so will not be able to enable it in the processor.
Boot your PC into BIOS to see. Depending on the PC you will need to press a key like DEL or F2 to enter SETUP during power up. Usually a PC will display a message to this effect within a few seconds of powering up.
In the BIOS setup pages, look for an option to Enable/Disable 'HT Technology' or 'Hyper Threading'. If such an option exists then you already have the right BIOS. If not, you can Google for your motherboard model and download an updated BIOS. It will generally be in the form of executable file that you just need to run. Once the BIOS is update you should then have the 'HT Technology' option available.

paul€ 19:07 27 Oct 07

A lot depends on which motherboard you have.

Some motherboards have dual bios's, so the original is intact and you flash the second bios. If things go wrong then you can fall back on the original bios.

Some motherboards do the flash for you through windows, so you download the exe. and run the program in windows. You just then need to reboot for the flash to work. These are nearly fool proof.

or you have the old cross your fingers motherboards were you back-up the old bios to a floppy and then flash with a new bios on a floppy.

To reiterate from VoG™, never flash a bios unless it is absolutely necessary. You could totally destroy the motherboard.

PalaeoBill 19:08 27 Oct 07

And what Fruit Bat /\0/\ said too. :-)

pj1664 20:02 27 Oct 07

All said and done,still leaves me "high and low" still very confused but I am going to check the BIOS to see if any options that would give me the HT Technology.

citadel 20:03 27 Oct 07

the top brand motherboard makers have programes to make it easy, for instance I have msi liveupdate that runs from windows it scans your pc and finds the correct versions of updates and drivers and you select which ones you want to install them and it restarts your pc. there is still a heartstopping moment till you see the windows screen appear.
it is only worth doing if you have some serious problem with your pc.

DieSse 20:07 27 Oct 07

Also check very carefully what a BIOS update is meant to fix. If your problem isn't shown, then the update is unnecessary.

What motherboard have you got?, and what is the current version of the BIOS?

pj1664 20:09 27 Oct 07

I am also checking out the site recomended by Fruit Bat /\0/\ its going to take me some time to read it through, perhaphs the site might give me the confidence to plunge the step. Wish me luck.

pj1664 20:13 27 Oct 07

My MOBO is a Foxconn 661FX4MR I think, the cd that came with the MOBO has 3 different drivers but if I do remember correctly it was the above MOBO. How do you check the current version of the BIOS?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…