Bios update

the old man 13:17 13 May 06

Have read various posts on this subject and looked at suggested websites. In a lot of posts the comment "if it ain't broken" comes up. I do appreciate that comment but I feel my PC would benefit from a boost in Ram. At the moment I have 512mb of Ram and on the Crucial website I am told I can only to up another 256mb. However with a Bios upgrade I can go up to 3gig. Obviously not going to put that much in as only have an Athlon XP2000+, WINXP, 256MB 6600 VIDEO. I would like to put in 1gig of memory to give a somewhat old pc a boost.

I have 2 Questions.

1) What are the common pitfalls in the process of doing a bios upgrade even taking into consideration, that with available utilities, the process can still fall over.

2) Seeing as I have some trepidation towards doing the upgrade would it not be better for me to go straight to 'GO' and buy a new Bios Chip for £12.99 and save all the hassle.

All opinions appreciated.

ed-0 13:23 13 May 06

1) it could fail and ruin the motherboard.

2) If the motherboard has that sort of limmitation ( ram ), then no. Buy a new motherboard for under£20 and get a host of new features. So long as you use ddr ram and not sdram. from what you have posted this is the sort of motherboard click here

De Marcus™ 13:27 13 May 06

Rarely do bios upgrades 'fall over' if the instructions provided have been followed to the letter. It's usually the case when a 'know it all' skips a few steps that trouble ensues. Your in a great position, if you follow the instructions to the letter, you should be fine, by chance the process 'falls over' you have a backup, a £13 quid bios chip.

If your particularly lucky the whole process can be done from within windows. Also in your case, the bios update allows you to increase you memory up to a desirable level for modern computing, which IMO outweighs the small associated risk involved.

Totally-braindead 13:36 13 May 06

The main things in my opinion, that screws up BIOS updates is people not following the instructions and people using the wrong BIOS. You must use the proper one for your motherboard and I only do it if it is important. I would never attempt it just because there was a new BIOS available if my PC was fine as it was.
I've done it three times on various boards and all have gone without a hitch. I always printed out the instructions and followed them exactly.
If something did go wrong, you could then buy a new board but if you make sure you have the correct BIOS and follow the instructions exactly everything should work ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…