BIOS update

Taw® 16:33 01 Apr 04

I'm having to update my BIOS on going to the FIC site I get directed to a download site which I do. However on the instructions it tells me it will be in zip format and when opening I should have 2 files 1 Flash utility eg: flash 808a.exe and the BIOS eg: xxxxx.bin However on unzipping the files I have 6 in total 1 Flash.exe 4 text documents and i AVG update file? no sign of an extension .bin

medicine hat 16:39 01 Apr 04

Which board are you trying to update?

Taw® 16:47 01 Apr 04

1st mainboard socket A FIC AZ11EA

Rayuk 18:49 01 Apr 04

Have just downloaded from here

click here

Use the usa site to download from its the quickest.

There is a file in there VDC49BIN 256Kb

Taw® 20:16 01 Apr 04

Thanks for that Rayuk for some reason that ile seems to get changed to AVG update file!!

Gongoozler 20:24 01 Apr 04

It sounds like you have associated .bin files with AVG updates. If you look in Folder Options, you can see what file associations you have. If you look in Windows Explorer and select Tools - Folder Options - View, and untick "Hide file extensions for known file types", you should see the .bin extension.

Taw® 22:37 01 Apr 04

gongoozler much appreciated thats what it is. How do I now associate the bin file, or disassociate it? When I select change it tells me file type not known and directs me to a website but this doesnt help either.

Gongoozler 10:29 02 Apr 04

Hi Taw®. I only have experience of Windows 98se, but I think the general principle applies to other versions. To dissassociate the file type go to Folder Options (either via Start - Settings or Windows Explorer - View). Click on File Types. Scroll down the list until you find the association between extension BIN and AVG, and click the Delete button. You don't need an association for a BIN file. All the association does is to define what application to use for the file type, whereas all you want to do is for flash 808a.exe to use the file. If you read the text documents they should tell you what to do with the files. Before you start the BIOS flash, make sure you fully understand the process, otherwise you could end up with an unuseable motherboard.

anon1 10:40 02 Apr 04

A word of warning here. I followed the instructions to the letter for a bios upgrade. I was promised a satisfaction gaurantee but it screwed my bios completely ( they sold me the wrong one)and I had to get a new bios chip. I am still waiting for a refund or in fact even a reply. They have chosen to ignore my complaint and I will be naming them soon. They have had 2 weeks to respond and I have mailed them that unless they reply within 48 hours that I will name and shame them ( big company) in many forums.

Gongoozler 10:43 02 Apr 04

Hi again Taw®, I have just downloaded the file and unzipped it. It all appears to be OK. If you right click on the VDC49 file and select "Properties", it will tell you that the file type is BIN, and the file name is VDC49.BIN. The Windows association is unimportant. Before you try to flash your BIOS, read the instructions on the FIC website click here. In my experience flashing BIOS is simple and painless, but as I said earlier if it does go wrong you are left with an unuseable motherboard.

Taw® 18:29 02 Apr 04

thanks once again Gongoozler sorted. Haven't flashed yet as Im having a good read, just one more question though it tells me to make a note of my old BIOS version for backup, how do I find that?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…