BIOS unable to recognise/locate HDD

On 12th August my NEC SM450B stopped working. I found that the problems were the Motherboard and the PSU, which I have both replaced.

The Motherboard is exactly the same as the one before it's a Microstar MS-6119.

The computer has a Primary Master and Slave drive. Maxtor 10GB master and Western Digital 60GB slave. The configurations were working before the motherboard and PSU were replaced and for a short while (once) on the new motherboard. But after that single successful startup of Windows it has not yet managed to successfully boot.

Previously, the EIDE only starts to turn when Windows is loading, however, the WD600BB drive is out of action and does not turn even when Windows is almost loaded. This means that my computer will not start up into Windows because Norton AntiVirus is installed on the slave and will not start.

Another problem is the BIOS recognising the Hard drives. If they are left for approx. 1 day with power off, sometimes the BIOS will recognise the Hard Drive but once the PC begins load the EIDE slave does not boot.

I am unable to update the BIOS because the PC never manages to get further than the Windows XP welcome screen.

Can anybody please help solve my problem?

Thank you

DieSse 16:20 15 Nov 03

Try resetting the CMOS to it's default settings by means of the "clear" jumper - it may be some values are corrupted.

Bris 20:06 15 Nov 03

Maybe the motherboard is not a new one i.e. the BIOS is not set up to autodetect the HDDs but is trying to access one that was connected before. Also try removing the slave drive and see if the BIOS picks up the master. The drive parameters are printed on a label attached to the drive and should match what the BIOS picks up. Hope this helps.

Thank you for your replies, I think that the main problem is the Slave drive which is not runnning. Does anybody have any ideas why it is not beginning to spin?

It's a Western Digital WD600 EIDE drive.

DieSse 20:04 16 Nov 03

Change the power connector for a different one.

Otherwise it's probably faulty - perhaps the PSU going blew it - perhaps it blew the PSU.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…