BIOS Shows CPU Clock Speed Very Low

randompunk27 18:20 25 Aug 10

Hi Everyone,

Just been playing on my laptop and was just in the BIOS set up screen and noticed that my current clock speed is only 600MHz.

My minimum is 800MHz and maximum is 2.30GHz.

I recently upgraded to 4Gb of RAM, but I was experience slow speeds before I upgraded but never noticed the actual figures in the BIOS set up screen.

My laptop specs are as follows:

AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL66 2.30 GHz.
RAM = 4.00GB
Windows Vista 32-bit

Hopefully someone will be able to help me, and I hope I have included all the information need to help solve this issue.

Many thanks in advance.

Lee

MAJ 18:35 25 Aug 10

Mobile processors use a power-saving technology that allows them to vary the speed of the processor, depending on what the computer is doing, I suspect this is what you are seeing. Download, install and run CPU-Z click here and you should be able to see it in action.

woodchip 18:37 25 Aug 10

Its a Stepped CPU like gears on a bike

randompunk27 18:52 25 Aug 10

Thanks for your replies MAJ & woodchip...

This is a txt report from CPU-Z

Processors Information
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Processor 1 ID = 0
Number of cores 2 (max 2)
Number of threads 2 (max 2)
Name AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-66
Codename Tyler
Specification AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-66
Package Socket S1 (638)
CPUID F.8.2
Extended CPUID F.68
Brand ID 2
Core Stepping
Technology 65 nm
Core Speed 798.5 MHz
Multiplier x FSB 4.0 x 199.6 MHz
HT Link speed 798.5 MHz
Stock frequency 2300 MHz
Instructions sets MMX (+), 3DNow! (+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64, AMD-V
L1 Data cache 2 x 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache 2 x 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache 2 x 512 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64-byte line size
FID/VID Control yes
Max FID 11.5x
Max VID 1.150 V

K8 Thermal sensor yes
K8 Revision ID 6.0
Attached device PCI device at bus 0, device 24, function 0
Attached device PCI device at bus 0, device 24, function 1
Attached device PCI device at bus 0, device 24, function 2
Attached device PCI device at bus 0, device 24, function 3

Does that look about right?

I understand what you mean about it being a Stepped CPU, just don't understand why I've noticed a significant drop in performance. Even when I type its slow to register on the screen. I've even reinstalled windows several times due to the performance. I did have a problem with one of my 1GB memory modules thats why I upgraded. Its getting very frustrating as I cannot find the cause of the sluggish performance.

Thanks again.

woodchip 19:12 25 Aug 10

It could be one of your Programs that as a Memory leak click here

click here

click here

just for startes

randompunk27 19:34 25 Aug 10

Thanks for the reply woodchip, I've noticed that my web browsers are opening two process when I use them, both IE and Google Chrome, around 30-33 K each for Commit Size (VM) Then I have a monitoring program for my graphics card which is 25,280 K and Dell Wireless Network Tray Applet running at 19,124 K then the rest running runder 12,800k.

Not too sure if I have a memory leak or not... just curious about having two processes running for one window internet browser.

Confused :/ lol

woodchip 19:41 25 Aug 10

Yes that's right for IE8, Can you turn any items off in MSCONFIG that's not needed to run at startup?
MSCONFIG is typed into Run then press enter, go to Start Tab click here

Services click here Take care with Services and only turn off one at a time, always write down what you turn off, so if it does nor work as expected you can turn it back on. This you may need to do in safe mode

randompunk27 19:57 25 Aug 10

I use msconfig regularly and everything is unchecked that I do not wanted loaded at start up... my laptop boots up reasonable quick but its the overall performance of it...

I haven't tried stopping any services as I do not know what ones are needed or not needed etc...

Might have to have a go at that when I have more time... but surely after reinstalling windows this should solve many performance issues... I've only just started getting performance problems over the last 2-3 months... I have had my laptop for 2 years roughly.

Strange...

randompunk27 19:48 28 Aug 10

CPU now running at nearly 2300 MHz, stopped some windows services from loading and running, also took battery out and back in again lol That was a common answer of a solution when laptop starts running slow.

Thanks for all the info and advice guys,

Lee

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…