Bios setup for devices

carryduff 13:44 21 Oct 08

I recently done a reinstall of windows XP sp2 which involved changing the boot devices in bios to boot from cd, however I've forgotten the original settings and would appreciate some advice on resetting the original or normal settings for the boot device sequence as at the moment can't play cds as system wants to boot up from these. Many thanks

Technotiger 14:10 21 Oct 08

Normal BIOS boot sequence is Hard Drive 0(the drive with your OS, then any other hard drives 01 etc, then CD ROM's, then Floppy.

carryduff 15:36 21 Oct 08

Hi Technotiger, I've reset bios as suggested but system still wants to reboot from cd, any way of turning this off?

MAT ALAN 16:23 21 Oct 08

click here

this may help...

skidzy 17:04 21 Oct 08

You have had some sound advice regarding resetting the bios boot order,im unsure how you have set this up.

Can you post the boot order you have selected ?

Try as follows;

First boot device = hdd
Second boot device = cd/dvd
Third boot device = Floopy (if you have floppy drive and enabled)
Forth = Usb

failing these and still no joy;

Remove the cmos battery for a few minutes with the machine powered down and the plug removed from the socket.Replace the cmos battery,conect the power and fire up the computer.

You may have a problem if using a wireless keyboard,you may need to connect a wired keyboard temporarily.

Technotiger 17:15 21 Oct 08

Hi skidzy, my Floopy's gone all floppy - wot shud I do ?? :-))

Technotiger 17:17 21 Oct 08

When yuou set the changes in the BIOS, did you press F10 to Save the settings and leave the Bios menu??

Technotiger 17:17 21 Oct 08

Ooops, now I'm doing it ... yuou - should be you ...

skidzy 17:36 21 Oct 08

Glad you noticed the deliberate mistake...oops should have wrote ...Technotiger Lol (-:

carryduff,obviously i meant Floppy drive as Techno has kindly pointed out.

carryduff 18:22 21 Oct 08

Reset boot order as skidzy suggested and all is well again. Many thanks to everyone who replied. Over the years you guys have saved me a fortune in call out fees etc, once again a big thank you to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5