Bios settings changing by themselves

bliksem 22:26 06 Jun 03

Hi all,

For some very strange reason my pc has been rebooting by itself. Sometimes when it does this it loses its bios settings and reverts to slower processor than whats onboard.

Do i have a virus? Is that possible ? Help please !

Thanks,

billyliv 22:31 06 Jun 03

Hi, It is possibly a virus, but I would think that a dodgy program instal is the culprit. What O.S. are you using and have you installed any updates or programs recently? Some updates can affect some machines in wierd ways. Cheers, Bill

GrahamP 22:35 06 Jun 03

bliksem

Losing your bios settings is a symptom of a failing battery. Before you replace it, print or take a note of your existing settings and re-enter them after.

Spontaneous re-booting could be caused by a number of things, chief being a poor power supply or overheating.

I don't know of any virus activity that would cause these two symptoms together or any other cause for that matter. Some of the resident gurus may know more.

bliksem 22:37 06 Jun 03

Thanks for replying....Im using XP pro but unfortunately couldn't tell you whats changed other than the regular windows updates. Infact when it first started I reloaded XP from scratch but its still happening. Could the bios battery be going flat....it is 1 and half old and isn't left on all day?

d.

billyliv 22:40 06 Jun 03

Hi, I doubt if it is the battery as a slowing down of the clock would have been noticed before it got as far as upsetting the Bios. Cheers, Bill

billyliv 22:43 06 Jun 03

Hi, If you have a restore point before you re-loaded try that. (I know it is a long shot). Cheers, Bill

bliksem 22:43 06 Jun 03

True, I should have noticed the clock being slow.

Why is it dark outside.....its only 6:07pm?

Seriously....thanks for the tips.

D.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…