BIOS settings

lucky1 23:14 14 Sep 03

I have just bought Drive Image 7. In the instructions it tells me that I will 'probably' have to make my computer boot from the Drive Image CD and that I will have to change settings. I would appreciate any advice on how I go about doing this please. I have Windows XP Home Edition.

Many thanks.

Rtus 23:30 14 Sep 03

Enter your bios and ( jot down any present sttings So you can return it to that ) Look under ADVANCED BIOS FEATURES, Look for First boot device , It gives the option to set to CD / HDD-0 / Floppy ..etc set to boot from CD Also set second device to HDD-0 and third device to floppy. If those are the options you wish to use..

Rtus 23:33 14 Sep 03

I believe there are limitations (when used with XP)in drive image read those first before installing DIM7 ..Im may be remembering an earlier version ,but please check..

lucky1 23:38 14 Sep 03

Thanks for this Rtus, but how do I get into BIOS in the first place ? Sorry, but I'm pig ignorant about these things !!!

Rtus 00:01 15 Sep 03

Most PCs allow entry into bios during first moments of boot up . Watch the screen near the bottom it usually announces Press DELete key to enter SETUP (but it could be other keys depending on make)

lucky1 23:28 15 Sep 03

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

lucky1 09:01 20 Sep 03

I have now managed to enter my BIOS settings !!!
Can anyone advise me how I go about making my PC boot from a CD in order that I can test Drive Image :

At present BIOS shows the following :

1st Boot Device - (1st Floppy Drive)
2nd Boot Device - (SM-HL-DT-STDVD)
3rd Boot Device - (PM-ST38011A)

I'm totally lost and any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

hugh-265156 09:18 20 Sep 03

highlight the first boot device,in your case the floppy drive using the arrows on the keyboard and press enter.highlight the SM-HL-DT-STDVD drive and press enter.

the dvd drive is now first and second boot device so change the second to floppy and the third to hard drive.save the settings and exit(it will say on screen which key saves the settings)

i would actually keep it set as you have above ie/ 1ST floppy 2ND dvd 3RD HD as some programs require you to boot from a floppy first to access the cd.if its set up as such and there is no floppy in the drive then it will still boot from the cd if there is one in the drive as its next on the list.

lucky1 15:49 20 Sep 03

Many thanks for your advice. I'll leave well alone I think !!

Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…