Bios setting S1 Or S3 help.

Giggle n' Bits 20:23 03 Dec 03

Having problem with comptuer running XP Home that when shutting pc down it goes to the XP log screen and says its safe to turn off PC (Like them older pcs use to).

In the Bios I notice S1 is set and also there is a S3 in the Bios. Which of the S1 or S3 is correct or how do I determine this.

To make thePC shut down and power off what can I check as its a pain as I have t hold the power button on case 4 seconds.

I know the 4 seconds power off is normal/ aoption but the manual shut down by using it from the desktop is the main anoyance.

Gongoozler 20:58 03 Dec 03

Hi TuneIT. Check this article from Microsoft (you will have to remove the spaces from the link before pasting it into the browser address window)http: // support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810903&Product=winxp.

I can't answer the BIOS question because I don't recognise the S1, S3 description and you don't say what BIOS or motherboard you have.

Gongoozler 21:05 03 Dec 03

Right, I've found a reference to the S1 and S3 states:

"Intel desktop boards support two ACPI standby states: S1 and S3. The S3 state is known as Suspend to RAM (STR) and provides the greatest amount of power savings. While in the S3 state, the PC is silent with the monitor and fans off. In the S1 state, a bit more power is consumed and the fans remain active. Some devices are not ACPI compliant and therefore may not work well with the S3 state. The PC will resume normal operations from either state within 5 - 30 seconds."

Personally, I wouldn't use either. I don't find suspend modes very reliable (but I'm using Windows 98se), I'm quite happy just shutting down the monitor when the computer hasn't been used for 20 minutes.

Giggle n' Bits 21:19 03 Dec 03

Thanks Gongoozler, it is running a Intel CPU, there is no dissable for the S1 or S3 state.

I am trying to get my head around the manual I have downloaded but as I am not a Intel system builder this baffles me.

Hover your mouse to discover the Microsoft links format.

Credits VoG.

Giggle n' Bits 21:25 03 Dec 03

Gongoozler & [email protected]@m,

Thanks will get back later and let you know how I went on.

Giggle n' Bits 23:01 03 Dec 03

I just enabled the APM in system properties and it shuts down fully.

I am now trying to find a ISA Netgear Network card driver for XP os.

Will start a new Post.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…