BIOS ROM checksum error

pompyx 19:59 27 Nov 06

Winfast Motherboard.

On bootup I am getting a black screen with this message.

AWARD BOOT BLOCK BIO VL.0
BIOS ROM CHECKSUM ERROR
DETECTING FLOPPY DRIVE A media
Insert System Disk and press enter

I assume that it wants the Win xp disc but all that happens is the the same Command is repeated every time I press enter.
The floppy drive light is on all the time and the drive sounds busy, it seems like it is trying to boot from the empty floppy drive. floppy drive.

Any help gratefully received.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:09 27 Nov 06

How old is the PC?

Did you put it togeter or was it bought from new?

BIOS ROM CHECKSUM ERROR usually means flat CMOS battery and lost hard drive drive settings hence the search from floppy

Floppy light light on constant is usally floppy cable wrong way round. henve the above questions.

Battery first, £2. 99 pack of two C2032 from wilkinsons stores.

ed-0 20:17 27 Nov 06

What model of winfast motherboard?

If the floppy light is on all the time, then the cable is on the wrong way.

It may be worth disabling the floppy drive from the bios and then reseting the cmos jumper on the motherboard, hence the question about the model number.

If your bios keeps loosing time, as well. Then it's probably the battery as per Fruit Bat /\0/\.

pompyx 20:19 27 Nov 06

The Computer is a year old from Novatech the floopy drie light is only on after I press enter.the bettery voltag accordind to superstep was just over 3 volts abd thanks for your assistence I am baffled.

ed-0 20:22 27 Nov 06

Do you know which cpu you have in the system? AMD or Intel. Socket type? It could narrow things down.

If you just get the first post screen, does it show the bios string ( all the numbers ) at the bottom of the page? Post them here if it does.

pompyx 20:23 27 Nov 06

the motherboard is a NFUK8AA as I say the comp is a year old, the time keeping is good

pompyx 20:25 27 Nov 06

It is an amd I think is is 939 pin

pompyx 20:30 27 Nov 06

All that appears on the screen is the message I gave at the start.

ed-0 20:35 27 Nov 06

Is this your motherboard? click here

pompyx 20:38 27 Nov 06

Yes it is

SANTOS7 20:42 27 Nov 06

BIOS ROM Checksum Errors

Explanation: The read-only memory (ROM) containing the BIOS program is protected by a checksum value as a double-check that the ROM code is correct. This checksum is compared against the values in the ROM each time the PC is booted and if there is a mismatch, this code is generated.

Note: This error is not the same as a CMOS Checksum Error, which refers to corrupted values of the CMOS settings, the ones you set through the BIOS setup program. This error means the contents of the BIOS code itself are damaged.

Diagnosis: The BIOS ROM chip on the motherboard is probably faulty. It could also be another component on the motherboard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…