BIOS problem? Hunting for drives.

Aquarrian 15:43 24 Jan 07

I have been running this system for a month now with no problems. Asrock motherboard with Pentium D 3.4Ghz. Maxtor300Gb as Prime Master, IBM 120Gb as slave. NEC DVD Writer Secondary master, Asus DVD as secondary slave. Floppy drive.
The motherboard, processor and Maxtor are all new items.

I booted up yesterday and the BIOS froze and started hunting for the Prime Master. The Maxtor is making a noise like a clock ticking. Suspecting a problem with the Maxtor, I put it in another PC as a slave and it was fine. Tried to boot from an external Maxtor that I had copied with Acronis from the Maxtor 300Gb and I received a rattling noise from the floppy disk which incidently goes away when the hard disk starts (ticking).

The BIOS Boot menu only showed The DVD (Secondary Master), the Floppy drive and the external USB Maxtor. I booted throught the Acronis CD and managed to boot into Windows. The only drives now showing in Windows are the Prime Master (running Windows), the Prime secondary (DVD Writer), the floppy drive and my external USB Maxtor. I appear to have lost my Primary slave (hard disk) and my secondary slave (DVD player). The Maxtor is still ticking although Windows appears to be operating OK. I have checked all cables and they are OK.

Can anybody help? Is it a BIOS problem, a motherboard problem or could it be a virus?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:43 24 Jan 07

I received a rattling noise from the floppy disk which incidently goes away when the hard disk starts (ticking).

searching floppy drive for boot disk before finding boot files on external. (no problem) Change boot order to stop floppy drive search.

The Maxtor is making a noise like a clock ticking
Sounds as if you have corrupt boot files on the master disk. A repair install should overcome that problem
Repair XP
click here

Do the above before attempting anything else.

Totally-braindead 21:03 24 Jan 07

First thing I would try is checking/replacing the ide leads.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…