BIOS Problem

Skuby 00:36 02 Jan 06

Hi all & Happy New Year.

When I switched on my PC today, a message on the black boot screen said BIOS Checksum error, loading default settings, it then continues to boot (after pressing F1) and loads up WinXP. Everything seems ok, desktop, programs etc but it has only recognised one of my two CD Rom drives & when I checked System Properties it says that my Computer is AMD 1500 & 1.35Ghz when it should be AMD 2200XP+ & 1.8Ghz. Also the system date has gone back to 1-Mar-2003.

System Details
Epox EP-8RGA - M.Board
AMD Athlon 2200XP+
1 Gb RAM
WinXP Home Edition Service Pack 2

I have downloaded latest BIOS upgrade from EPOX & succesfully flashed the BIOS but to no avail. Is this the sign of a dying Mobo. Any help will be apreciated.

Totally-braindead 00:38 02 Jan 06

Have you tried replacing the CMOS battery on the motherboard, if it fails it would loose all your settings and may be the cause of the problem.

Skuby 00:50 02 Jan 06

Have not tried replacing the battery. Will have a look inside to see what type.

teak goblin 01:48 02 Jan 06

the cmos battery is a cr2032

Totally-braindead 01:52 02 Jan 06

But are they all the same teak goblin? Incidently Skuby you may be cheaper getting a replacement from the likes of Boots the chemists rather than a computer shop, a guy a few years back tried to sell me a replacement CMOS battery for £5, got the same one from Boots for about £2.

madPentium 03:36 02 Jan 06

When you turned on your pc today, how long had it been turned off for? If the battery is weak, and the pc is off for a few days, it will give that error. If you turn it off for a couple of hours then back on, do you get the error message? When the battery gets warm, it tends to get a bit more life. It's definitely a new battery job. I've had batteries last 2 years, down to 1 week. As TB stated, the CR2032 is cheaper from boots or woolworths etc. They are commonly used in cameras.

teak goblin 12:27 02 Jan 06

hi totally-braindead im pretty sure that all the cmos batterys are the same i have seen many mobos and the batterys are all cr032, if there are dirrerent types will someone please correct me

Skuby 12:37 02 Jan 06

Yes after turning PC off & back on again it seems to be ok, BIOS loads properly & system date ok. Tried it this morning after being switched off overnight & I get the checksum error again & system date wrong.

I am going to get a battery & try it, but from what your all saying it looks like the battery.

Thanks for the help everyone, & will let you know if it worked.

Skuby 23:24 03 Jan 06

Hi all,
Just to let you know it was the CMOS battery, thankyou all for the help it was much appreciated.

researcher 23:27 03 Jan 06

Just adding to my postings for reference!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…