Bios Password & XP Logon Password

BigAl127 13:16 17 Mar 05

I have just acquired an Ergo Microlite XL Laptop, which has XP loaded on a 20Gb Hard Drive.

Unfortunately the bios is passworded and set to boot from Hard drive, and XP Logon is passworded as well.

I need to either override one of the passwords or possibly find another way in so I can boot from CD Rom.

Can't remove cmos battery as it's a soldered one.

Any help appreciated

VoG II 13:18 17 Mar 05

Some ideas click here

BigAl127 13:31 17 Mar 05

Thanks Vog for such a speedy Response, all of 2 mins from my original post.

Can't use password cracking software cos I'm unable to boot from cd.

No dipswitch or jumper, as far as I can see, and not sure it's an option on a laptop, or is it?

Can't remove battery, as it's soldered in.

Going to try the overloading Keyboard Buffer, will post back on that one.

Not prepared to risk jumping solder beads.

Any other ideas ?

woodt 13:35 17 Mar 05

Can you boot into Safe Mode? If so try leaving Admin Password as blank.

BigAl127 14:42 17 Mar 05

Won't allow me to boot into safe mode either. I press F5 and get the option screen, choose "safe mode" or "safe mode with command prompt" and it eventually returns to Welcome to Windows box, press Ctrl+alt+del to begin.

On pressing that combination I get a Log on to windows Box asking for usewr name & password.

VoG II 14:45 17 Mar 05

click here might help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:48 17 Mar 05

BIOS Passwords
click here
click here
click here

NT password cracker
click here

Password recovery
click here

when you have got it to boot from CD
Windows2k/XP
Try this:

1- boot to the windows xp/2000 CD , 2- press enter to start setup , 3- press F8 for the license agreement , 4- when you get the option to repair the current installation press R to do so , 5- let it run through and for windows XP wait until it reboots and is installing, devices then press shift F10 to open a command prompt. For windows 2000 wait until it is registering components then press shift F10 to open a command prompt. , 6- In windows XP either type in "nusrmgr.cpl" w/o quotation marks at the command prompt and press enter. For windows 2000 type in "control.exe" w/o quotation marks and press enter. This should open up the user accounts applet in XP and the regular control panel in 2000. , 7- select the users and change or remove their passwords accordingly, apply settings and close the control panel windows and command prompt windows so that just setup is running again. , 8- let the inplace upgrade finish

The user should now be able to log in when it finishes and not have to reinstall the programs like in a parallel install.

Zaphod Beeblebrox 14:50 17 Mar 05

find out what mobo you have will have to open the box and grab a copy of the manual it may have a jumper setting to clear the cmos which will remove bios password

BigAl127 14:59 17 Mar 05

Got the manual and can't see anything about any jumper like you normally do with a desktop motherboard.

Have e-mailed the manufacturers, and am awaiting reply.............Hopefully.

BigAl127 07:10 29 Mar 05

Laptop now bck with manufacturer. Takes 2 hours at £60 an hour to re-program cmos. OUCH!!!!!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…