BIOS password

lahorie 16:31 12 Aug 08

Hi all

My windows xp OS kept freezing and starting by itself after various intervals so i decided to re-install. I made backups etc and the install went OK. The problem i have is the BIOS password when the pc starts is not being accepted. I don't know why this is. I have taken out the cmos battery and started but no luck. Is there anything i can do to clear this?

Thanks
Lahorie

Ditch999 16:39 12 Aug 08

Why do you need to go in to the BIOS if "the install went OK" ?
Usually the BIOS is not password protected (unless its a Toshiba bought off eBay!)
Are you sure its the BIOS password and not the Administrator password in the Recovery Console you mean?

lahorie 16:45 12 Aug 08

Its the password when the bios information is displayed on screen before the pc actually boots up. Could re-installing the OS have wiped this?

Ditch999 18:15 12 Aug 08

No. That data is stored within the BIOS itself.

Why is there a password and who set it?
Why do you need access to the BIOS?

skidzy 18:33 12 Aug 08

Im wondering if bios access is needed to change the wake on lan that might be the cause of the pc starting on its own.

lahorie

What version bios ? Phoniex/Award/Ami etc....
here is a list of possible bios backdoor passwords,be warned you could be locked out of the bios and need a new bios chip or even at worse,a new motherboard click here

DieSse 19:38 12 Aug 08

The "clear cmos" jumper should sort it. This is on the motherboard, so you need to find a diagram for the motherboard showing it.

I can't think of any reason why in a normal startup you should be asked for a BIOS password.

Taking out the CMOS battery should also clear any passwords - but you may need to leave the battery out for 10-60 minutes for it to clear.

DieSse 19:42 12 Aug 08

There are normally two BIOS passwords

One to prevent access to the BIOS itself, to prevent unauthorised access.

The second is to prevent access to the PC itself - stops the PC from booting. This one should only show up if you've set it to show up.

Ditch999 21:42 12 Aug 08

lahorie
What is the make and model of the PC or mobo?

Dont think taking the battery out will clear it. They are usually designed so that battery removal will not effect passwords.

skidzy
Have I missed something when you say "Im wondering if bios access is needed to change the wake on lan that might be the cause of the pc starting on its own." ?

karmgord 22:42 12 Aug 08

I've set both the hard drive password & the bios password so in the event of it being stolen it is useless,on HP/Compaq laptops the passwords are stored on a seperate chip that's soldered onto the mainboard so reflashing the bios or removing the battery won't work.

woodchip 22:56 12 Aug 08

Contact HP on how to remove it, there will be a way and HP are very helpful

lahorie 16:32 13 Aug 08

Hi Guys

Resolved it, set the jumper over pins 1 and 2 and its cleared. It was to prevent access to the pc, had been set by the owner but when reinstalled OS the password was "Invalid."

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…