Bios Password

Colio 12:33 11 Jan 04

Hi

Can anyone tell me if there is a way of getting around the dreaded BIOS password. The board has an Ambios and is about 4 or 5 years old. It is running win 98 first edition and we want to upgrade to the SE. Trouble is that the BIOS Virus Guard is on and i believe the upgade will need access to the MBR.

any help much appreciated

Many thanks

Colin

Chegs ® 12:40 11 Jan 04

Remove the CMOS battery for a while,the BIOS should reset to default settings.

woodchip 12:46 11 Jan 04

Nothing in BIOS to do with MBR. MBR ir written to disc not to CMOS chip

woodchip 12:48 11 Jan 04

PS MBR is in the first sector of the Hard Drive

Colio 13:47 11 Jan 04

yes i understand that is right, but the BIOS will check the MBR before it hands control over to the hard drive -if the virus component of the BIOS is in use - it will see the change being made to the MBR and halt the system boot believing that it has been infected with a virus?

Please tell me if i am way off the mark as this would solve my problem.

MichelleC 13:58 11 Jan 04

This may help: click here

DieSse 14:05 11 Jan 04

Yes, you are correct - but usually you are simply asked to confirm if you really want to do this (update the MBR)

But also, the advice to remove the battery will reset the password - you may need to remove it for some time though - maybe several hours!

Or you may also find a CMOS clear jumper on the motherboard - this can do it right away.

Colio 14:11 11 Jan 04

Thanks MichelleC

That looks like it will do the trick.

Colio 14:16 11 Jan 04

thanks DieSse

Very constructive. I think i have the answer now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…