BIOS Overclocking problems

teeze666 14:38 18 Aug 06

1.8Ghz Celeron / 400mhz
256k + 512k RAM
GeForce 6
MOBO - FIC VG31

I can access my BIOS but cant Get to the CPU Menus etc to modify the clock speeds. I have the HP Pavilion 423.uk rig, is it possible that hphave locked the BIOS and if so can i unlock it. Really want to get this sorted as i've been trying for a few days now and it's starting to become an obsession - I want to go out for a few drinks tonight!!!!!

brundle 14:55 18 Aug 06

check the manual to see if there are jumpers on the motherboard to enable manual fsb/multiplier adjustment.
could be a low-spec board, or a locked CPU.
not much to be gained by overclocking a celeron. better to find a suitable pentium replacement if possible

DieSse 15:00 18 Aug 06

Motherboard manual here click here

It purports to allow you to set the CPU Clock Ratio (multiplier).

Yes it's possible that HP have locked some parameters so that they can't be changed. Brand name manufacturers somtimes have BIOSes modified to their particular specification.

woodchip 15:02 18 Aug 06

Custom BIOS by manufacturer to stop you changing things

teeze666 15:11 18 Aug 06

Okay... I concede that I need to get some new gear. What would you recommend... bearing in mind the shops shut a 530 and I've got about £120 on me?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…