BIOS not recognising capacity of new hard drive

sandyex 16:38 14 Sep 03

I installed a Samsung 120gb 7200 hard drive on my system. This was to replace two smaller drives of 12gb (master)and 20 gb (slave). The new drive works but I can only get the system to regonise the drive as 37gb.
Any suggestions as to how I can get my computer to reconise the drive at is full size would be appreciated

choffe 16:44 14 Sep 03

which os are you using, win 98 has problems recognising large drives, as i have found, and only lets me use 72 gig of my 120 gig hd.

mark500 16:45 14 Sep 03

Look on the back of the drive. Some have a 32GB cap jumper. That might or might not be the prob. Someone more technical may be able to elaborate.

Askit 16:51 14 Sep 03

Try upgrading the BIOS, this sometimes helps especially if your PC is an older one.

holly polly 17:08 14 Sep 03

click here
this is a link to samsungs site download the disk manager program this cons the bios on older machines into recognizing the higher capacity hdd
-have fun hol pol...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…