BIOS Lock Up - Reasons Why????

Jester2K II 12:52 01 Jul 03

Mates PC locks up randomly. 10 minutes after start up, an hour after start up, half way through the boot up...

Been checking some bits for him and the HDD seems ok however.....

The PC has just locked up whilst i was in the BIOS changing the boot order. This is something he's seen before and the only way to get the PC started is the physically pull the power plug and wait one minute before plugging in again. Reset button just shows black screen.

What could cause the BIOS to hang??

Gongoozler 13:05 01 Jul 03

Hi Jester2K II. When something requires a period of time before letting you switch on again, I always suspect an overheating problem. There is very little else in a computer that knows how long it has been switched off.

Jester2K II 13:09 01 Jul 03

Gongoozler - overheating was a problem some time back when the case was full of dust and muck. Even with the case side off it still locks up.

I had it running for over an hour the other day doing all sorts and not one lock up. Today boot up, go into BIOS, Locked....

zanwalk 13:28 01 Jul 03

Try some different memory if possible, memory faults are very different and unpredictable.

Jester2K II 13:33 01 Jul 03

rayburn - cheers. Sadly this is a "no spend" job and i don't have compatible memory to spare. Also its quite happily defragging away now. Changing the memory might fix it for a day or two but if it starts locking again.....

Because its so temperamental i can't be sure when its fixed....

zanwalk 13:38 01 Jul 03

Perhaps this link to a free memory tester may help?

click here

woodchip 13:40 01 Jul 03

someware it is hardware that is the problem

Jester2K II 13:41 01 Jul 03

rayburn - oh nice one - might give that a whirl when thunderstorm has gone.....

Jester2K II 13:49 01 Jul 03

Cheers - you've confirm my suspicions. Tried everything. This is a last ditch attempt to sort it...

woodchip 13:53 01 Jul 03

Can you see the CPU fan working OK, it's posible also to be PSU if you have a spare try it

Jester2K II 14:55 01 Jul 03

CPU fan is working OK.

Had another hoover inside - so far so good....

Is there an easy way to monitor the CPU temp?? BIOS has no display!

Its an old PC... Celery 500...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…