Bios and HDgb wrong

zoobie 20:44 12 Aug 07

I've tried every possible channel and master/slave combo to get my BIOS to recognize a second HDD's D drive's full capacity (250gb) but no go. There's no Bios update and it seems to be stuck on 57gb when it used to recognize it fine. BIOS recognizes my 250gb system C drive OK. How would I find the proper settings to edit both?
Thx

XP Pro

howard64 20:47 12 Aug 07

could a jumper have come off? some drives have a lower rating for some purposes and the jumper disables it.

zoobie 01:25 13 Aug 07

Nope. I even just hooked up this drive alone and tried every jumper setting. Bios always shows 57gb on this drive. Same in Windows Disk Management. How do?

WhiteTruckMan 01:40 13 Aug 07

but what size does your OS report it as?

Do you have another computer to try it in?

Is it a brand spanking new drive? If so, what if anything have you done to set it up? (i.e fdisk and format)

WTM

zoobie 03:09 13 Aug 07

OS sees 57gb. No other computer to try with. It's my regular HD slave I've had for 2 years. Diagnostics reports it to be the Primary slave, drive in good cond and the jumpers correct. I just put a new HDD as my system C drive and BIOS sees that fine. Perplexing...

zoobie 05:24 13 Aug 07

What may have happened is when XP was installed to C, Microsoft fails to tell you to disconnect any other HD's. The D drive was turned into a RAW file format and possibly damaged. I've recovered most but now need to re-format D back to NTFS...but it's only reporting 57gb in Disk Management and BIOS.

skidzy 06:39 13 Aug 07

I take it you have installed the service packs and updates.
If not, make sure you have sp2 installed.

WhiteTruckMan 08:38 13 Aug 07

So if you have had it (the drive) for two years was it previously reporting the correct size? And does bios correctly report cylinders, heads and sectors? If not does your bios have a custom option to try entering these details manually?

WTM

User-312386 08:59 13 Aug 07

As skidzy has said you will need SP2 for XP to recognise large HDD click here for windows updates

paul€ 10:20 13 Aug 07

The bios and the operating system already sees his boot drive as 250Gb. This drive is the same size. Mentioned in first post.

What does it say in disk management, has it got any un allocated space?

Or run killdisk from a floppy. You may have a sector of the drive in a different file structure. have been using linux?

zoobie 18:25 13 Aug 07

I have SP2 installed
Both HD's are the same size (250gb)
Disk management says D is all unallocated but shows only 57gb.
I've been using Linux but the Knoppix version which runs from the DVD tray.

I just stuck some other HD's in as slaves and they report correctly in BIOS and disk management. This leads me to believe the 250gb drive in question was damaged during the XP install to C drive.

I'll run killdisk today and report the results.

XP Pro
SP2

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced