BIOS Hard drive limit

accosnr 16:40 23 May 04

I have installed a 80GB hard drive but the BIOS won't recognise it and freezes when trying to Auto ID. I have since learnt the AWARD BIOS 4.51PG has a limit for hard drive size (my original is 27GB).

How do I get round this? Does anyone know if there is a later version of the BIOS which will recognise my new drive?

AndySD 16:46 23 May 04

who made the hard drive?

accosnr 16:50 23 May 04

Maxtor

Mikè 16:59 23 May 04

This click here will solve the problem.

Charence 18:20 23 May 04

I'm also experiencing this. You can change jumper settings to limit the size temporarily and you can search for a BIOS update. I tried to install one but it doesn't seem to have worked. :o(

I'll be watching this post!! :o)

Charence

accosnr 22:20 23 May 04

Thanks Mike. I am not quite sure yet if I have fully resolved the problem because I still get the system hanging if I use autodetect in the BIOS (I do not get hanging if I set the drive to 45 for some reason). Have not tried writing to the drive etc but at least the system is now detecting and showing the hard drive.
A little more persistence and I am sure I will get there. Thanks again to all.

accosnr 16:00 24 May 04

Hopefully, for the benefit of Charence, and others who may be interested.
I used the link on Mikes response to my query. This is the Maxtor site and downloaded MaxBlast 3. I now have a working spare drive with two partitions totalling 80GB although my BIOS has a 32GB limit.
Note there is reference in the MaxBlast 3 information for at least one drive being a Maxtor, so may not work for everyone.
The Maxtor site is well worth a look for hard drive issues.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…