Bios flashing question again

paddyjack 20:47 13 Jun 06

One of sons friends has got in touch about flashing his Bios to take advantage off the Dual Core.

Don’t know what this means myself. It comes with F1 Bios but it has to get to F9 to recognise the Dual Core. He thinks that that is going to have to flash the Bios 3 times in a row

Here is the comp spec as sent to me
ntel Pentium D 930 (BX80553930) Dual Core 3.00GHz FSB 800 2 X 2Mb Cache 775
cOSAIR VALUE 2GB (2x1GB) PC5300 667MHz DDR2 Dual Channel Kit

Western Digital Caviar Special Edition 160GB 1600JS SATA-II 8MB Cache-

Western Digital Secure Connect Serial ATA Cable (CB-000-WD)

Zalman CNPS9500-AT Aero Flower (Socket 775) CPU Cooler

Tagan TG420-U01 420W ATX2.0 Silent PSU (CA-002

Board details
click here

I’ve told him to hang on, until I found out from this site if he was safe in his enterprise.

Any suggestion would be helpfull

wolfie3000 21:26 13 Jun 06

For me flashing a new bios into my pc is something i wont do toomany risks for me as if you make any mistake thats it you might as well throw the mobo away.

Iv heard to many horror stories about flashing bios,s.

Only do it if your confident enough.

€dstowe 22:16 13 Jun 06

BIOS flashing is a very short step to oblivion for your computer if it fails and you may end up with a very expensive box of junk. BIOS flashing three times greatly increases the chances, obviously.

Never forget the adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Never more appropriate than when applied to what you are proposing.

VoG II 22:23 13 Jun 06

I agree with the above. But I have a question: Why does it have to be done 3 times - that doesn't make any sense unless it is on 3 PCs.

Incorrectly flashing the BIOS is a surefire method of making a PC unbootable. Take care.

woodchip 22:30 13 Jun 06

AS Vog it only need one Flash. But that could be one too many

gudgulf 22:50 13 Jun 06

Flashing the BIOS completely clears the existing BIOS and then writes the new code onto the BIOS chip.

You will only need to do it once to fully update the BIOS.....which appears to version F10 click here

This mentions Presler and Cedar Mill chipsets.Which are the 65nm dual and single core cpus such as the Pentium D930 he is using.......that is a Pressler core,which is made from the joining of two single Cedar Mill cores.

It is a good idea to use the latest BIOS in this case to take full advantage of improvements in the running of the D930....if the F1 version of the BIOS does not recognise the dual core cpu he has then you NEED to update the BIOS.

The link to the BIOS versions asks you to update the BIOS using QFlash......click on that phrase and it will direct you to a PDF document with full instructions.

Read it very carefully......you must do this correctly .It is not a difficult procedure and the motherboard manufacturers utility makes it easier still,but the outcome if it goes wrong is a dead motherboard.

the old man 11:40 14 Jun 06

I have asked this question in the past and was actually told/read in a topic that you can actually buy a new bios chip for the MOBO you are using. Don't remember what the website was but someone will have it. This could be a valid option if he doesn't want to take the risk of doing it himself. I think a new chip will not cost more than £10. It surprises me that when this question is asked then this course of action is not recommended more. Cheaper than the stress involved and cost of new mobo if it goes wrong.

paddyjack 13:11 14 Jun 06

thanks everybody for the advice I have passed it on. Waiting to hear the results.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…