bios flash help

cracker23 16:19 26 Feb 03

Hi all, have just got off the phone from Dell with a problem with a post error that I was having(another thread but I dont know how to connect the two). anyway they have advised that I flash the bios to say that I am scared of doing this is an understatement.How easy is this to do? I'm not stupid when it comes to pc's but never having done anything like this before I would be grateful for any advice, do's & dont's etc thanks in anticipation

« Ravin » 16:32 26 Feb 03

provide us a link to your previous thread. if you look below you'll see a pull down menu labeled "Jump to" select "my postings" you should find your post there.

to flash your system bios, go to the dell support site and look for your model of computer and go to the downloads section. look for the latest bios update. download it. next insert a freshly formatted floppy and run the setup you downloaded. this will copy the program to the floppy. leave the floppy in and reboot. boot from the floppy and the flashing program will start. site back and let it finish. take out the floppy and reboot.

flashing the bios isn't something to be taken lightly , so make sure you don't reboot or lose power to the computer during the process or you will totally mess up your system.

cracker23 16:42 26 Feb 03

previous thread click here (hope that works).
I've already downloaded it and got it onto floppy just need the guts now to go ahead and do it.I dont suppose it's guaranteed to cure the problem tho is it? The error on post is the only error pc and keyboard work perfectly. Do i need to write all the bios setting down before i start

« Ravin » 16:54 26 Feb 03

so you just get the error on post ? does windows load normally after that ? if dell have adviced you to flash bios i guess you can go ahead, and unless you've made any changes to the bios settings you can go right ahead and do the flashing since you get the default settings after the flash. but you might wait and get confirmation on that.

since its a new machine it shouldn't be giving these error messages. are you using the default dell keyboard or one of your own? and how new is this machine and did set it up your self ? could be a loose connection.. forgive me if i'm being obvious but just wanted to cover all areas :o)

cracker23 17:09 26 Feb 03

Yes the only error is the POST message keyboard works fine so does the pc,Windows loads and works fine.It's 3 weeks old and I did set it up myself, it's the original keyboard.Have tried another keyboard and get the same message.Was on the phone a while and tried changing keyboard and mouse over and resetting config data in the bios.Still same.I've checked pins etc and everything is fine.Lady on the phone said flash would sort it out but I dont suppose it'sa guarantee is it(if you can call it a problem)My current bios version is dated Dec 2002-not exactly old is it?

« Ravin » 17:27 26 Feb 03

dell normally label there bios and other software starting from A00, A01, etc your bios version should appear on the main page of the bios, compare that with the version of the update to see if you're installing a newer version

cracker23 17:35 26 Feb 03

Thats another thing My version is A01, and the latest update on the site is A01.the release date for mine is 17/12/02 and the one I have downloaded is version A01 release date 19/12/02-confused? I certainly am :-(

« Ravin » 17:41 26 Feb 03

maybe they released it at the site 2 days before they released it to the system manufacturers :D

looks like you have the latest version then . so do you still want to flash it ? might solve your problem then again it might not!

i've done a few flashes myself all went on without a hitch.

cracker23 17:50 26 Feb 03

wellllll,Dell say it's a newer version(obviously they know what one I have already) and checking again on the site it says File date 3/1/2003.by the way,there are two available formats-Non-packaged and floppy I take it I need the floppy one? thanks for taking the time to help me out:-)

« Ravin » 17:57 26 Feb 03

no problem :o)

take the floppy version since it will be easier to install.

« Ravin » 17:57 26 Feb 03

no problem :o)

take the floppy version since it will be easier to install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced