Bios flash failure

silliw 21:28 13 Jun 03

Yes I understand the dangers of flashing a Bios but I was offered an AMD 2600 at a price I could'nt refuse so here goes.

I downloaded the flash utility and the bios upgarde from the manufacturers web site. Started the upgrade from floppy, saved the old bios to floppy and successfully upgraded the bios. As instructed I restarted the machine. DEAD

My machine would not boot at all.

Contacted the manufacturer who advised
" find someone with the same board and similar chipset to do a hot swap with the EEPROM chip and reflash the bios back to its old state."

Whilst I think this is possible, what kind of a support is this? Moreover, when questioned about the validity of the recommended bios upgrade file there was silence for a while followed by their consent to return the board for repair via my local retailer. Which retailer n their right mind will do this for me.

What course of action should i take other than searching the web for a bios replacement chip??

Lú-tzé 21:49 13 Jun 03

I think it might be time to go for a new mobo - there are some good deals around at the moment and the AMD 2600 is a good chip.

When you say the PC will not boot, do you mean that literally? Nothing at all when you press the power switch? Nothing on the screen? If so, then my suggestion of a new mobo might save you a lot of headaches even thought it costs you a few pounds.

Mysticnas 22:37 13 Jun 03

what if you take take out the power leads, and all other leads and take out the battery from the mobo.

Leave it out for a min or so then replace. Read this somewhere else. Think it resets everything???

i also read something about resetting the cmos???

LastChip 00:08 14 Jun 03

if you want to recover your motherboard, it wouldn't hurt to send an e-mail. click here

woodchip 00:21 14 Jun 03

You could try this as I had the problem just like you with a Giga-Byte board. If you saved the Bios file try starting the computer with the Floppy disc with the Bios on it, if you can remember the sequence for flashing the bios and you wrote down the old bios name it may restore, If it try's to read the floppy disc with the Bios, you may be able to restore the old Bios File even with a blank screen just allow time for each set of instruction you type in

wawadave 05:37 14 Jun 03

if you screw up a bios flash try this link
click here

wawadave 05:38 14 Jun 03

click here
this is corect link.

silliw 12:35 14 Jun 03

thanks for all the postings. I'm most concerned that the manufacturer thinks that it can post upgrades on its site but not take any responsibility if they go wrong. As far as the upgrade went, it said that it completed successfully so I can only assume that the bios file posted was not compatible with the board.

Thanks Lastchip I tried that site and a new EEPROM chip arrived today flashed with the latest bios. I hope its not flashed with the file I used. The replacement chip cost me a mere £14 including postage.

Many thanks all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…