BIOS FLASH

the-george 15:40 09 Oct 05

I am playing around with an old pc and want to upgrade the bios in order to fit a larger hard drive which contains info I want to rescue.
I have downloaded the award flash utility and the appropriate driver from Driverguide.com>What do I need to do next please!

howard63 15:45 09 Oct 05

you make up a bootable floppy from the flash utility and then boot from it.

DieSse 16:03 09 Oct 05

"...award flash utility and the appropriate driver..."

A BIOS upgrade is not a *driver*. Please be ultra sure that a BIOS flash that is not from the motherboard manufacturers site is the appropriate one. A wrong flash will render your motherboard for ever unuseable.

Many motherboards don't have a BIOS upgrade to fix drive capacity problems.

You may be able to load a fix for this from the hard drive manufacturers site, which *fools* the BIOS. The advantage is that it avoids the built-in danger of a BIOS flash.

DieSse 16:06 09 Oct 05

PS - of course you will have to use such a fix on a different drive, then fit your drive as a slave for the resue of data.

Bear in mind you can do this anyway if your current system is more up to date. Simply disconnect the optical drives - put your *old* drive onto the cable, and read the data from it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…