bios failure

compy 19:06 02 Jan 06

win xp pro, gigabyte hd, maxtor SATA drive.

I had USB problems and as a last resort updated my bios. now i can't get anywhere. my os won't load. and my hd is not being recocnised. i tried reloading the bios and loading the old one. i have tried pre installing my hd controler but then the os wont load. and now the os reads the pre install but won't recognise the hd partitions and so won't let me load windows on
any ideas?

thanks in advance.

jakimo 19:17 02 Jan 06

Sounds serious,the eprom chip (where bios data is stored)may be corrupted, best to seek professional help..The chip can be replaced but a new mobo would be the best solution

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:24 02 Jan 06

1. Now you have reflashed the BIOS what is showing on the POST screen? Can you see your HDD displayed?

If not then enter BIOS and set boot devices.
To do this make the first CD make the 2nd boot device SATA if the option is available.If not you have two options: HD0 - If there are no IDE HDs present, or SCSI if you do plan on running an IDE HD as a secondary device.

2. If no good above then BOOt with XP CD in drive and let it run setup watch for the F^ message to load the raid drivers from a floppy they will be on the motherboard CD.

ade.h 19:34 02 Jan 06

If your board is a Gigabyte, why not revert to the backup BIOS. That's exactly the kind of situation in which it's designed to save your bacon. Instructions will be in your manual.

compy 19:37 02 Jan 06

have moved the boot sequence and have managed to get xp to the f6 prompt, have loaded the raid drivers and xp accepts them but will not show the drives and alow me to install.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:40 02 Jan 06

Installing XP on SATA drive
Once you have the drive(s) connected you are ready to start installing XP.
Master and Slave
Remember since it's serial you can only have one device per SATA port/cable so SATA drives don't have jumpers. On the Motherboard SATA1 Port is for the primary device, SATA2 port is for the secondary device etc.

SATA controller driver
Your Motherboard or SATA controller card requires a driver to work properly. If you did not get a Floppy Disk with the SATA driver included with your Motherboard you will have to make one. The SATA drivers can be located on the installation CD that came with your Motherboard or preferably, download the latest SATA controller drivers from the manufacturers site. Once you have located the drivers copy them to a formatted floppy disk. Make sure they are in the root directory i.e. not contained within any folders.

BIOS settings
When you turn on the PC hit the Delete key when prompted and you will enter the BIOS (Basic Input Output System). Here you set the first boot device to be the CDROM drive, the option is usually found under the Advanced Options section but this depends on your BIOS and you may have to look around for it. Once you have done this save and exit.

Installing the SATA controller driver
Once you have set the PC to boot from the CD make sure the XP CD is in the CD drive and start the installation as per usual. Within the first minute or so of the installation Windows will prompt you to press F6 to install RAID or SCSI drivers, do this. Windows will continue to install then ask you to locate the driver. now with the floppy disk created earlier in drive A: select the driver and hit Enter.
With the SATA drivers installed you can now continue the Windows installation as usual.

BIOS settings revisited
Once Windows has finished installing you will need to make sure the PC is set to boot from the SATA drive. To do this make the first boot device SATA if the option is available.If not you have two options: HD0 - If there are no IDE HDs present, or SCSI if you do plan on running an IDE HD as a secondary device.

compy 19:59 02 Jan 06

just checked the cmos and boot order is ok. but discoverd sata drive now missing. loading raid drivers from floppy and xp has loaded them. but set up shows a 200 gig disk with 175 gig free but will not let me put xp on it because it can't gain access to the disk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…