BIOS error

TJ Macintosh 21:59 15 Nov 03

Hi people, havent had problems for ages,but now I decided to put together a PC from bit and bobs around the house, for ma cousin, and I get an error message!!!!

It is the first thing I see after the name of the Graphics card comes up.

It says,

Copyright (C) 2000, Award Software, INC.
BIOS ROM Checksum error
Detecting Floppy Drive A Media...

((((any suggestions??))))

Where can i get a 'SYSTEM DISK' from?

Thanks a lot guys!!

Legolas 22:02 15 Nov 03

The system is looking for a disk/drive to boot from check that your HDD is being recognized.

VoG II 22:04 15 Nov 03
  Chegs ® 22:06 15 Nov 03

Presumably you have no OS installed,I think its looking for the "boot-floppy" for whatever OS your after.

TJ Macintosh 22:49 15 Nov 03

Yipe thats right, I ahve no OS installed at the moment.

©®@$? 22:50 15 Nov 03

no OS installed at the moment

thats ya problem you need to install one

TJ Macintosh 23:11 15 Nov 03

yE BUT I cnt boot into anything, how do i do dat?

it keeps on searching for AWDFLASH.EXE, when i put Windws XP boot disk 1 inito drive

©®@$? 23:15 15 Nov 03

is the light on the floppy drive always lit, if it is the cable is in the wrong way..

set the first boot device to cd rom in the bios

TJ Macintosh 23:22 15 Nov 03

I found the file called AWDFLASH.EXE, downloaded it and shoved it on a floppy, tthe PC found the file, and the FLASH UTILITY OPENED, ('flash memory writer v6.311)

then i get a eroor mesage sayin that it cnt find the source file, does this mean i need to put the actual AWARD flash file on this disk?

Steve N 23:36 15 Nov 03

When the system starts it should tell you to 'Press DEL to enter Setup' or something of that kind.

Once you have entered the BIOS setup then you can configure the computer to boot up from the various devices you have connected to your PC. If you can then this order is good. CD-ROM, Floppy, Hard Drive.

When you have set this save it and exit the BIOS. MAke sure you have the Windows CD in the CD-ROM drive and when your computer is booting up it should check the CD-ROM to see if ti can boot from there. A message like 'Press a key to boot from CD' should appear when booting.

If you press any key at this stage then you will start the Windows XP Setup where you can follow the instructions on screen to install an Operating System (OS).

TJ Macintosh 23:56 15 Nov 03

I dnt get up to as far as DEL key pressin, man,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…