BIOS doesn't always "see" my IDE drive...

mattyc_92 12:37 21 Feb 05

Hi.... I have installed a "Serial ATA" hard disk a while ago, but for the last 2 weeks, my system doesn't see the drive... I have checked the BOIS and it too doesn't reconise it....

The only way it can "see" the drive is if I "unplug" the IDE ribbon from the drive and then put it back in...

Sometimes it will "see" it and sometimes it doesn't... As you can imagine, it is very annoying to unscrew 4 screws, pull my desk out and take the cover off every time (well most of the time) it want to use this drive....

Anyone know whats going on??

PS... I'm running WinXPPro With SP2

ACOLYTE 12:41 21 Feb 05

Not sure on this but dont SATA drives connect with a Serial ATA connector not an IDE cable?

mattyc_92 12:43 21 Feb 05

Yes, but I said my IDE drive doesn't work...

I have a SATA drive (160gb) as my "active" drive and a IDE drive for backing up my system onto..

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.. lol

mattyc_92 12:44 21 Feb 05

I see what you mean by my first post.... Sorry about that...

ACOLYTE 12:46 21 Feb 05

Lol,sorry when you said you installed a SATA drive i thought that was the one you were having trouble with.Maybe the IDE Ribbon has become faulty have you tried a new cable?.

LastChip 12:49 21 Feb 05

What is the make and model of the IDE drive?

Is it connected on its own on that channel as Master?

mattyc_92 13:17 21 Feb 05

It is a on the MASTER channel of the IDE1 cable (the first IDE cable)... So it is set as MASTER MASTER...

I can't remember the make or model...

ACOLYTE

I will try your suggestion later if all else fails...

mattyc_92 13:20 21 Feb 05

The hell with it... I will try your suggestion now... as it gives me something to do...lol

Back in a bit....

mattyc_92 13:46 21 Feb 05

Ok... I have changed the IDE cable with a brand new out of the box one (building a new system, so I have some spare cables...lol)

All seems well at the moment and my "boot-up" speed has increased like it was around 2-3 weeks ago... So I think that has done the "trick"....

I wont tick this thread for now, just incase the problem continues.... If all is well tomorrow, then it will be ticked then...

Thanks ACOLYTE and LastChip for your help and interest...

Bye...

mattyc_92 10:53 22 Feb 05

Cheers.... Your suggestion seems to have worked... But why didn't I think of that??? lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…