BIOS beeping - wrong voltage showing

Somewhere95 14:48 26 Jul 03

Hi Folks
Just fitted a new Asus m/b (P4S8X/X). Although things SEEM to be okay, in that WindowsXP has installed, there's loads of BIOS beeps. When I run 'PC Wizard' and 'Asus Probe', they show a list of voltages - one being 3.3v. But the actual readout is only 2.8-2.9 and is flahing red. My 1st thought was PSU, but the last m/b worked ok with it. What is the 3.3volt supply for? Could it be the monitoring chip at fault?

ellas 16:36 26 Jul 03

what was the last mobo/cpu,if you have a p4 cpu you will need a bigger psu,what psu you got now.

Somewhere95 18:03 27 Jul 03

Don't understand what you're saying. Previous m/b was Gigabyte Titan 667 with 845PE chipset. Have simply replaced the board with Asus P4S8X/X using same cpu (P4 2.53Mhz 533FSB). Now got all these BIOS beeps. No temperature probs, so it aint that.

Bilbo 18:14 27 Jul 03

How many beeps do you get - is it the same number every time? Got this funny feeling that different numbers of beeps mean different things.

Varies from BIOS to BIOS though - should be something in your motherboard manual about POST beeps.

woodchip 19:40 27 Jul 03

What volts are you looking at we cannot read minds. Please explain fully where you are looking

tellus 20:02 27 Jul 03

Hi The beep sequences and the meanings of each depend on the BIOS chip on your motherboard.
Manufacturers use different codes for reporting their errors It should be in your manual or contact manufacturers wibe site.
The beeps have to be counted i.e. one BIOS chip will produce six short beeps to indicate a keyboard failure.
Start counting

Somewhere95 12:28 28 Jul 03

Too many beeps and too incosistant to count. Very sporadic, of differing frequencies. Waddayamean what voltages-where are you looking? There are only ONE set of voltages, those listed in the BIOS, and the one that apparently should be 3.3 is reading 2.9 or less. Updating PC Probe makes no difference. Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

woodchip 18:21 28 Jul 03

You should be able to adjust the volts to 3.3

Somewhere95 16:49 29 Jul 03

Is that in the BIOS, 'cos I can't see any way of doing that.

Śamurai Ĵack ₪₪ 16:56 29 Jul 03

In your ASUS PC Probe program, just reduce the Alarm Voltage that the default is set to.

DieSse 17:04 29 Jul 03

You can't adjust the voltages in the PSU - you can only adjust when you get the warning, which you don't really want to do.

The number of beeps is irrelevant here - it's just a warning that something is wrong, not a fault code.

The 3.3 volts should not be so low - this means either the PSU can't cope with your new board OR it's always been like it, but you didn't get a warning on your old board - OR there's a BIOS problem in the voltage sensing on your new board.

Not possible to say which I'm afraid.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…