BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO port

Templar1961 14:01 06 Feb 03

Event viewer has given the following message every day so far this year!

AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO port address (0x70), which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

I updated to the latest BIOS version for my Discovery MS6506 Motherboard (Packard Bell Imedia 5206) in October last year. I have not had any problems (system instability) other than the above warning from event viewer.

Has anyone got any suggestions on fixing this issue?

powerless 14:28 06 Feb 03

Just ignore it...

If its been making an event for the last year and there are no problems like system instability then its ok.

Best to leave it.

Within the log there should be a microsoft link which should tell you how to fix the problem.

Templar1961 14:40 06 Feb 03

Event Details
Event ID: 4
Source: ACPI
Symbolic Name: ACPI_ERR_AMLI_ILLEGAL_IO_READ_FATAL
Message: %2: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (%3), which lies in the %4 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

Explanation
The system BIOS attempted to incorrectly access hardware resources concurrently with the operating system. This type of access cannot be synchronized and can cause system instability.

User Action
Contact the system vendor for an updated BIOS and follow the vendor's instructions for installation.

powerless 14:42 06 Feb 03

I see so you have the most recent BIOS version.

Templar1961 14:42 06 Feb 03

Event Details Event ID: 4 Source: ACPI Symbolic Name: ACPI_ERR_AMLI_ILLEGAL_IO_READ_FATAL Message: %2: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (%3), which lies in the %4 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance. Explanation The system BIOS attempted to incorrectly access hardware resources concurrently with the operating system. This type of access cannot be synchronized and can cause system instability. User Action Contact the system vendor for an updated BIOS and follow the vendor's instructions for installation.

I have installed the updated BIOS - so what else can I do?

Templar1961 00:17 07 Feb 03

Looking at the log in event viewer the messages look as though the problem arises when I attempt to resume from standby? I frequently find the system hangs and the keyboard and mouse are unresponsive - could there be a connection here or am I confusing two separate problems?

It has also been suggested that I need to reinstall Windows XP after updating my BIOS?

Any suggestions/comments?

DieSse 00:54 07 Feb 03

This is the MS page that discusses the issue - in case you haven't seen it before.

click here

It's all specifically in relation to power management, which is excatly where you're getting the problem.

I suggest you disable the standby facility - it has a poor reputation for ever functioning well, and I think the problems arising from MS attempts to correct the issue are showing up the design problems in some BIOSs that are causing the trouble in the first place.

Templar1961 10:29 07 Feb 03

Thanks for that link - I hadn't seen that MS page before.

Having looked at that it would appear that MSI (Micro-Star Int'l CO., Ltd) need to design a new BIOS according to the guidelines set out in the article - what are the chances of that happening?

I am still awaiting MSI's response to an email I sent asking why my motherboard [Discovery (MS-6506 Ver 1.0)] wasn't even listed on their web site! I am also awaiting a response from Packard Bell on the event viewer warnings. As manufacturers are Packard Bell liable for resolving this issue?

Templar1961 19:40 10 Feb 03

refresh

Templar1961 11:04 11 Feb 03

refresh

Templar1961 11:10 15 Feb 03

refresh

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5