Bios & NVIDIA query

Bruja 18:03 PM 26 May 11

Hello....My name is Trish and I have been advised via Microsoft that my Laptop needs a Bios update and an updated NVIDIA display driver! I have a Toshiba laptop and have been on to their site, but apparently my laptop doesn't exist anymore! Anyone know how I go about resolving this problem? Would it be best to take it to a PC engineer? I am a complete amateur at this sort of thing. Thanking you all in advance.

Bruja 18:52 PM 26 May 11

Thanks for the speedy reply. Its a Toshiba Notebook with Windows Vista Eqium A100-027 and the Model No. is PSAAQE-007008 AV. The advice came as "Error Message on Screen". It has been so very slow for a while now, it takes at least 15 minutes to open. If you need further info please ask. Thankyou again.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:28 PM 26 May 11

I have never ever know Microsoft to advise a BIOS upgrade

I would suspect that you have some rouge Antimalware slowing you down and giving the error message.

What antivirus and Antimalware are you running? Scan with MAlwarebtes free click here to downloadto start with and see what it finds.

Bruja 18:22 PM 27 May 11

Sorry I havent replied sooner, but I downloaded MAlwarebtes and it threw up 10 infections. I don't know what to do with this information. I have the free version of AVG and windows own one. I also looked into the Device Drivers and it up with..."Mobile Intel (R)945 Express Chipset Family. I took a photo of the list of Infections in case you needed to see it, but I dont know what else I can do now to help you. Thanks.

Bruja 19:14 PM 27 May 11

I have now removed all 10 infections and have had confirmation of this. I have disabled Windows antivirus, so now only have AVG. The Intels link you sent to me, is this to update the Bios or NVIDIA? What am I looking for now?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:33 PM 27 May 11

You do not need to update the BIOS or the Nvidia Drivers

Under no circumstances attempt to update the BIOS as it could wreck the machine if the update goes wrong.

Just keep Malwarebytes upto date and do a weekly scan

I also looked into the Device Drivers and it up with..."Mobile Intel (R)945 Express Chipset Family.

Is Device manager showing any red marks or yellow question marks?

If not then your drivers are OK.

Bruja 19:50 PM 27 May 11

Thankyou for all your help with my problem. The Drivers were ok and everything seemed to work properly. Lets just hope this sorts it out! I really am so grateful to you and I am sorry if I sounded a "wimp", but when you are npt technically minded, then its a very scary process. Thankyou again...Trish.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:14 PM 27 May 11

As I suspect it was "scam ware trying to get you to download more dodgy stuff you didn't need.

but when you are not technically minded that's what this site is for ;0)

You started well by asking the questions before doing something you didn't understand, that's how we all learn.

Post back if there are any other problems.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

New Apple TV 2015 release date rumours: Apple TV 'launching in September' plus patent filed for…