BIOS

moggers 17:01 12 Mar 06

In the BIOS it says the AGP aperture size is 64MB Ive just installed a new GX card with 256MB on it should I change the aperture size in the BIOS or leave it be I thought I better check first

Stuartli 17:08 12 Mar 06

No, leave it as it is, or use a maximum of 128MB.

The card's memory size has little relation to the AGP figure.

moggers 17:15 12 Mar 06

What will happen if I increase it tho? will the graphics run faster is this the speed at which the AGP slot speaks to the CPU? sorry for the questions just interested :-)

woodchip 18:05 12 Mar 06

Reduce it as you do not need it, now you have installed new graphics card. The memory can then be used by windows

Stuartli 18:19 12 Mar 06

With all due respects to woodchip, whose contributions I respect, I would leave it at 64MB.

The reasons are outlined in the TweakGuides.com website but, for some reason, the website is not loading up at the moment.

click here

You need to read up the optimisation pages for either ATi or nVidia graphics cards under the AGP cross heading.

moggers 18:45 12 Mar 06

for all the above answers, Ill check that link out when its working Stuartli. So from what youve said I take it this is the amount of RAM allocated to the AGP slot for gx

woodchip 20:00 12 Mar 06

No it's for onboard graphics

Stuartli 22:18 12 Mar 06

The website is still not working - may be due to maintenance as it's the first time I can recall it doing so - but the gist of the advice is that there is little or no advantage to selecting other than 64MB or 128MB AGP settings for graphics cards.

In fact selecting higher or lower figures may/could cause graphics performance to deteriorate.

DieSse 00:01 13 Mar 06

Graphoics aperture size is NOT for onboard graphics - it's how much memory space is shared with the AGP cards memory, to avoid unnecessary address translations.

A good alternative explanation.

click here

Setting it to 128Mb seems to be the most generally agreed on setting - more than 128Mb, or less than 64Mb, can cause performance degradation.

moggers 01:40 13 Mar 06

nice link that about wraps that up then as always this site is invaluable, thnx everyone

Stuartli 11:37 13 Mar 06

DieSse's link is also offered in the TweakGuides' author's excellent article as a valuable source for Bios optimisation advice and obviously backs up the reason for my suggestion earlier in the thread, which DieSse confirms.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009