Binatone Wireless Access Point and NTL

swervy 17:56 29 Dec 03

I have just bought a Binatone Air-Link 1200 set up consisting of a "wireless access point" [WL1100] and a PCMCIA card [WL1000]. My aim was to replace my network cable from my modem to my notebook so that I can use my notebook in any room.

I have an NTL broadband modem [NTL:home 120]which has a choice of USB or Ethernet sockets [only one or the other].

I can not link my access point to the modem whilst still linking the modem to the PC which seems to be the only way to set up the connection. I have called Binatone Technical Support who were about as useful as a chocolate fireguard!

Am I missing something or is this product not compatible with NTL's?

All advice welcome.

Forum Editor 18:07 29 Dec 03

an Ethernet network adapter for your PC.

Then connect the modem to one of the PC's USB ports and the PC's network adapter to the Ethernet port on the wireless access point. Set up the access point software via the PC.

The access point will now broadcast the broadband connection to the Laptop's wireless network adapter.

An alternative (and perhaps better) solution might have been to buy a wireless router. Then you could have connected the broadband modem direct to the router, and broadcast the connection wirelessly to both the PC and the laptop. The advantage of this method is that you wouldn't need the PC to be on if you just wanted to use the broadband connection on the laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant