Bill Gates & Microsoft

Poloman69 11:43 08 Feb 03

Why is it that year upon year when Microsoft release their new OS stating 'Our most stable and productive OS to date' do we fall for it.

It we were to go into an electrical retailer and buy (for example) a Widescreen TV for £600, got it home and found out there were lots of problems with it. Would we think - oh well thats ok. NO, we would take it back and demand either a replacement or a refund.

So how is it that Microsoft can get away with dodgy OS being release - and only for an update to come out 2 months later.

Is it just me, or do you too wish they would just spend the time building a stable one, rather than their present ideas of "well lets release it now, and update any problems later"

Take the everyday example of a plumber - if a plumber left mistakes everywhere which caused you an inconveinence, we could take further action - so why is Microsoft not being held account for thier actions ???

By the way - i have just been up all night trying to fix a friends PC who has just upgraded to XP. Well i say upgraded - i mean we tried. So many conflicts and problems. Its never taken me 5 hours to upgrade an OS before in my life......

Hence my distaste.......

powerless 11:56 08 Feb 03

It's impossible to produce an operating system that will work with no problems what so ever and on all of the millions of PC's that are out there.

There are millions of configurations...

They could do this but it would be very expensive to do and very time consuming.

More importanly we as the consumer would have to pay a alot more than we are doing on an operating system

Most problems that are encountered can be traced back to the user messing where they shouldnt.

Using incompatiable hardware or software.

Take a motor vehicle for example, they get recalled for numerous reasons. I know that the Honda S2000's were recalled for a seat belt modification - I did the modifications ;-)
It's not good for the owner of that honda S2000 with the vehicle being in a garge for 4 hours or so.

Just be grateful that microsoft release FREE patches to update there os's.

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:08 08 Feb 03

'So how is it that Microsoft can get away with dodgy OS being release'....Microsoft OS systems are used by 95% of all computers and generally they are stable. They are usually made unstable by people putting power-hungry progs on and all sorts of rifdiculous apps that they hardly ever use. This is a totally ridiculous statement as you have obviously never worked in an Office that uses XP, 98, NT or 2000. Most times that I have to fix computers the fault is PEBCAK (problem exists between chair and keyboard). A lot of OS problems occur because people try to use the latest games with a Pentium II.

'By the way - i have just been up all night trying to fix a friends PC who has just upgraded to XP. Well i say upgraded - I mean we tried. So many conflicts and problems. Its never taken me 5 hours to upgrade an OS before in my life'...as you are an obvious whizz with computers, I assume that you took Microsofts' timely, spot-on advice and saved all personal info, deleted the old OS, reformatted and only then put XP on...didn't you? I'm sure that you would not have tried to lay XP over the old OS. If you did all the previous and checked that all the drivers were available, I cannot see why it took you 5 hours....hour and a half tops in my book.

G

Forum Editor 12:08 08 Feb 03

that can successfully withstand all the permutations of use that the market will throw at it.

Your TV analogy isn't valid - a TV has a simple job to do, and it is not possible for a user to alter the way it does it. Software's vastly different - it has to interact with other products (both software and hardware that are produced by a wide range of different companies, and it has to withstand all the tweaking that its users will try on it. Most software companies run beta testing programs, designed to test software prior to its release. Microsoft operates a huge beta program and all MS software is pre-tested by thousands of people in real-world scenarios. I have been a Microsoft beta tester for years, and I can vouch for the care they take to see that the product is well-tested. I'm currently testing the new version of Micrtosoft Office, and the information exchange that goes on between MS and the testing panel is very impressive.

Windows XP is undoubtedly the best Microsoft OS by far, and if you have spent all night trying to upgrade there's something wrong. You can pre-check compatibility before you start, and the installer routine itself does that again when you run it. If you have specific problems I'm sure we can help with them - just post a separate thread.

Poloman69 13:06 08 Feb 03

I have wondered this for ages now, I agree my TV analogy was a bad example. I just have never got others opinions on it.

It just seemed strange with the amount of money that is put into new technologies (and yes i do agree with the forum editor on his views). I know this is probably the most spoken arguement, with no real solution (until the impossible becomes a reality).

One question - is linux a more stable OS than windows? obviously it will have its faults, but is it a more stable environment to work in, and are there limitations to what you can do with it compared to windows?

By the way Gandalf - this is just a home users point of view, i am not an 'IT professional' i have a broad relative understanding, and do use 98, NT etc in my place of work, but i just wanted to know why.

Just a simple question so that i could find out exactly why things are as they are .......

Otherwise - why would i have asked in the first place ?? I just think that for a company that makes billions of dollars each year, that they cannot do better with what they are working with.

Microsoft ask people to send them error reports & from this info they work what problems we have & try to find a common answer to the variety of problems they receive if we respond conscientously with error messages
IT is changing all the time so Fe is spot on

Microsoft ask people to send them error reports & from this info they work what problems we have & try to find a common answer to the variety of problems they receive if we respond conscientously with error messages
IT is changing all the time so Fe is spot on

Philip2 15:19 08 Feb 03

I must say i was one of many that sounded off about XP when it was released i had to replace my scanner and line printer all work well,But when XP came out i was sick to death of these never ending patches but after S1 pack was released every think is working fine now my back up computer is another story it would never work with XP and as Chaintech have never released Bios updates i am stuck with Windows ME on that one.
Microsoft are now coming up with the OS to replace XP god help us all more money will the computers we are using now work with this OS ????
Ok if you can afford to buy a computer every two years if your working much harder if your on a pension.

Belatucadrus 16:41 08 Feb 03

Having only just moved from 95 to XP, I can safely say that I have not fallen for the "most stable and productive OS to date" pitch. I also acknowledge that most of the problems I have encountered have been PEBCAK of my own creation. But not all and despite this I remain of the opinion that all the Windows releases would have benefited from another 6 months development before launch on an unsuspecting public. But what do I know I'm not a Multi Millionaire with a virtual monopoly on the OS market.

Peter E 17:10 08 Feb 03

All sorts of software contains bugs, because there are so many PC configurations. It isn't reasonable to expect software engineers to test software for compatibility with all other software and combinations of software that may or may not be on a PC.

As for Bill Gates - who seems to get a lot of undeserved criticism - I wish he and his management team ran the company I work for instead of the dozy twonks who do!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…