Bigger hard drive query

Grassington 12:29 12 Feb 07

Hi, everyone, just found this interesting and informative forum and would like to post my first question.
I am using Windows XP Home Edition, which I have had for some time and have downloaded all relevant updates (inc SP2) form Microsoft. I have two hard drives of 40GB capacity each, master and slave, both are nearly full. I have just installed 2GB of Ram, to replace 512MB, and want to replace existing hard drives with one or two bigger. I have read somewhere that a hard drive bigger than 160GB will not be recognised to its full capacity by XP. Is this correct? Should I fit two new 160GB hard drives or could I use one, say, 320GB drive partitioned into two partitions of 160GB each.
Any advice or information would be gratefully received.
Regards
Steve (Grassington)

JayDay 12:43 12 Feb 07

I have a 250gb hard drive in my XP machine and it is recognized.

Technotiger 12:47 12 Feb 07

Hi, I have XP(Home)SP2 and run 560Gb on three hard-drives.

brundle 12:56 12 Feb 07

You may be referring to the 137GB limit that was removed with XP Service Pack 1; click here

Grassington 12:57 12 Feb 07

Hi, JayDay and Technotiger, thanks for your speedy reply. I think that what I have read is that when I do a clean install of XP Home Edition from my CD a large drive will not be recognised? My cd of XP does not have SP2 "embedded" (if that is the correct word?) and I thought that this might be why a disk larger than 137GB would not be recognised when I do my clean install of XP onto a new hard drive? I have SP2 installed on my machine now, but I downloaded it from Microsoft. I bought my XP cd just after it was first released, before any service packs had been developed. Have I got the wrong end of the stick??
Regards
Steve

Smiler 12:58 12 Feb 07

I have a removable usb hdd of 400gb also one 80gb, one 160gb, one 300gb and one 320gb internal hd drives no probs.

Smiler 13:03 12 Feb 07

This may help you
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:04 12 Feb 07

Correct it is the SP2 that allows windos to see drives above 160G.

HAve you still got the SP2 download? you can slipstream it onto a CD click here

Grassington 14:05 12 Feb 07

Many thanks to everyone for your helpful replies. Looks as though I will be "slipstreaming" tonight!!
Regards

Steve (Grassington)

terryf 14:10 12 Feb 07

If you give me an email using the yellow box I can send you a document that I used to successfully slipstream sp2

Grassington 22:29 12 Feb 07

Many thanks to everyone for your help with my question. I now have a Windows XP bootable CD with SP2 slipstreamed.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac