Big Windows XP Problem

Big Trev 20:59 16 Oct 06

My PC (running XP Professional SP2) is not starting many of the services when it boots up.
msconfig tells me the following are stopped:
Application Layer Gateway Service
Application Management
ASP.NET State Service
Windows Audio
Computer Browser
Symantec Event Manager
Symantec Internet Security
Symantec Network Proxy
Symantec Settings Manager
Indexing Service
COM+System Application
Remote Procedure Call
System Event Notification
Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing
As a result I cannot operate my Norton Anti-Virus Software. Nor can I open Windows Help and Support or other utilities because the service is not running.
Came to find Norton had found a virus on the PC (Drive...something or other, I think).
Removed the virus, did a reboot in safe made and ran various pest removers successfully, but couldn't start Norton Anti-virus. It says both the Anti-virus and the Firewall have expired.
Tried rebooting in Normal Startup made, but to no avail.
BOOT.INI is "multi(0)disk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect/NoExecute=OptIn /KERNEL=CXLOGO.EXE"
Tried to reinstall XP but it wont let me because "Windows has detected that one or more protected core system files (kernel) on your computer have been modified. The Service Pack contains updated versions of those files, which work to provide a stable environment for your programs. Due to this modification, the Service Pack will not be installed. For more information, see Knowledge Base article Q327516 at click here."
I'm lost!
Please help!

VoG II 21:03 16 Oct 06

Run HJT click here and post a log at click here

I'm sure that I have advised this before and it is the way to go.

Big Trev 21:04 16 Oct 06

I should also add that something turned off System Restore and I cannot restore to an earlier time.

bluto1 21:12 16 Oct 06

Just do as Vog suggested, and stop worrying. It`ll get sorted.;-))

Big Trev 21:18 16 Oct 06

Done it guys. Now I wait!

VoG II 21:22 16 Oct 06

Well done - now please await a response. They look for zero replies to assign a helper so please be patient.

Big Trev 21:23 16 Oct 06

How long does it usually take?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…