BIG T/bird problems on Win 7 Lappy - installs but won't open!

AngeTheHippy 14:29 PM 01 May 13
Answered

Aft'noon chaps, Rather taken with the Samsung lappy received recently. HOWEVER, I'm trying with no luck at all, to install thunderbird email client - it instals then get small windows unable to open Thunderbird profile missing or inaccessible I've d/loaded (NOT always from the same source)& installed 5 times now, having to delete each time as I cannot get past this irritating message!! In desparation, I've dloaded after reading reviews eM Client - which states we detect you have Thunderbird installed - I HAVEN'T!!! What should I do, please?

AngeTheHippy x

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:36 PM 01 May 13
  1. Type or copy & paste this command %appdata% into the Search Box and press Enter:

2. It will open your Roaming folder where you can find the "Thunderbird" folder. It is the location of a Thunderbird profile and since the current profile doesn't work, you can either delete "Thunderbird" folder or rename it to something else, for example "Thunderbird-old"

3. Start Thunderbird again and it will recreate a new profile. Then, re-add your e-mail account and all should be now OK

AngeTheHippy 14:59 PM 01 May 13

Getting excited now, Fruit Bat /\0/\ .... YES, it DID create a new 'roaming' folder and it DID open t/bird!

Next problem. How/what exactly do I need to migrate from old vista lappy to this one please? I've read copy * profiles * (an icon that looks like a white sheet of paper with a cog on) and registry.dat. I have both of those I copied over and have placed on desktop... do I need 'em?

Ange x

AngeTheHippy 15:02 PM 01 May 13

and can I delete the 'thunderbirdold' folder now?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:14 PM 01 May 13

Yes you can delete the old Thunderbird folder now.

Mozebackup is what you need

AngeTheHippy 15:17 PM 01 May 13

OK, so I would need to install on both machines, yeah? Sorry Fruit Bat /\0/\, I'm being dense - I've never encountered this kind of prob with email before!

Ange x

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:32 PM 01 May 13
  AngeTheHippy 16:11 PM 01 May 13

Fruit Bat /\0/\ , I'll be getting on with this tomorrow and will tell ya'all how I got on. MANY THANKS (as usual)Fruit Bat /\0/\ , much appreciated.

Ange x

AngeTheHippy 22:23 PM 01 May 13

Well Fruit Bat /\0/\ , did as you suggested, and. . . . . WORKED WONDERFULLY many thanks indeed!

Ange x

alanrwood 10:58 AM 02 May 13
Answer

Just for information of others looking at this post, it is simple to create a profile for T/bird (or Firefox) by running "thunderbird.exe -p" (firefox.exe -p) and creating a new profile in the wizard. It is possible to create it in any location ie in the more logical location - "My Documents" rather than in its default location.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

OS X Yosemite vs Windows 10: The Mac and PC operating systems go head to head UPDATED