BIG Problems after removing virus

six-h 16:31 27 Feb 08

For over 3 weeks now, I've been trying to get my PC back to health with the help of first the Malware Removal forum, and then on their recommendation, a-Squared forum.
Although a-Squared recons I'm clean, civil war broke out when I changed from Windows Firewall to first, Sunbelt, then, Outpost, and finally Online Armor.
Sunbelt helpdesk couldn't sort it, and recons there's something wrong, 'cos I couldn't prepare a System Report, it froze at the "Finalisation" stage, even in safe mode and had to be terminated with Task Mgr.
installing Outpost immediately gave me the BSOD when I re-booted after installation, and ever since, I've had these total freeze ups in IE7 and Firefox that can only be stopped by a hard shutdown.
After much delving and many many yards of logs, a-Squared feel that it must be a hardware problem.
Probably RAM.
I want to continue with them, but since the Guy helping me is in New York, I won't hear from him 'till around midnight at the earliest, and wondered if there is some way to check the condition of my RAM, without downloading any software?

Technotiger 16:37 27 Feb 08

You could remove the RAM sticks then make sure slots inside case are free of dust, carefully wipe contacts of sticks and re-fit. See if that makes any difference. I did have problems once, which I cured in this way.

Terry Brown 16:44 27 Feb 08

Download a progam called MEM31a or MEM32.zip.
You create a boot diskand start the machine from that.
MEM31a is for a floppy disk, MEM32.zip id for a CD.
Either one will check out your memory for faults, leave to run for at least 5 hours for a through test.
Terry

six-h 16:58 27 Feb 08

Thanks guys, I've never been inside the box, only watched whilst the engineer performed surgery a couple of times, whilst under warranty with Medion, but I recon I'd need a stiff Whisky to steady my hand before I tried!!

Terry, your programme noted, but at the moment, I don't want to subject my poor PC to any more stress than necessary, so I'll hold that one in reserve!

Had a look at the Crucial UK site, and that wants to install an active X prog, so I think I'll just wait for a-Squared first, and update you later.

woody2122 18:10 27 Feb 08

whats wrong with downloading an active x proggrame on a pc

six-h 18:25 27 Feb 08

Not much, if it's trusted, but I don't want to change anything at present that may invalidate all the reports and other information that "a-Squared" have sucked off my machine!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced